sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-15, 11:09 AM   #16
Sylphie

Re: Artemis - Russian Rat Snake

Chilling

I must finally take her/him to reptile vet to determine the sex... In a few days are my birthday and I'm currently looking for an melanistic Russian, and it would be cool to have a pair and breed them in future There is a few people in my country that have some melanistic so there are some chances! Hope that Artemis is female, males are easier to find (and cheaper, haha!).
Old 04-07-15, 11:56 AM   #17
prairiepanda

Is s/he breeding age now, or are you looking into the future? I'd love to see some melanistic russians on here :P Are they born all black or do they change with age like the normal phase does?
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 04-07-15, 12:21 PM   #18
Obsidian_Dragon

I didn't even know that there WERE melanistic Russians until recently. Now I'm like, well crap, I NEED one. XD
Old 04-07-15, 12:23 PM   #19
Sylphie

prairiepanda, no s/he is only 2 years, females are ready at 4-5 years, but I want to know now, so I'll be able to find her (or him) a nice partner
And I'm not sure, I know that as an juvie (around 1 year old) they are all black (normal phase in that age is still brown), but I never saw an melanistic hatchling...
Old 04-07-15, 12:24 PM   #20
Sylphie

Obsidian Dragon, there is also an anerythystic version, but they are really expensive I want one anery in future too...
Old 04-09-15, 10:46 AM   #21
Obsidian_Dragon

Oh yes, I've seen anery too. I'm just not sure there's any for me to sell my first born for around here, haha.

Pictures! Anery and melanistic.
Old 04-09-15, 11:22 AM   #22
Albert Clark

Talking Re: Artemis - Russian Rat Snake

Awesome rat snake! Thanks for sharing. The pattern on h/her body reminded me of the chain kingsnake.
Old 04-14-15, 05:19 AM   #23
Sylphie

Someone asked about melanistic as an hacthling: now i know that they born with white/grey rings, and with age they darken to all black
Old 04-14-15, 07:49 PM   #24
KingMilk

Do they hiss really loud?? I remember going to a snake breeders house and hearing a Russian sounding like a radiator over blowing steam....
Who has em?
Old 04-15-15, 01:25 AM   #25
Sylphie

KingMilk, huh, Artemis never hissed... so I don't really know, she is rather "fly and hide" when disturbed.
Old 04-15-15, 10:56 AM   #26
KingMilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
KingMilk, huh, Artemis never hissed... so I don't really know, she is rather "fly and hide" when disturbed.
Yea, must have been another Russian species...
Old 04-16-15, 06:30 AM   #27
Sylphie

Kink Milk, maybe it was Korean Rat (elaphe anomala, formerly it was subspecies of Russians)? They are more shy and nippy than Russian Rat's, so hissing will be really likely to happen

Update:
Artemis shed two days ago, we contacted one of the breeders in my town, and we're going to him and try probing Hope that s/he turns out female!
Old 04-16-15, 07:19 PM   #28
KingMilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
Kink Milk, maybe it was Korean Rat (elaphe anomala, formerly it was subspecies of Russians)? They are more shy and nippy than Russian Rat's, so hissing will be really likely to happen

Update:
Artemis shed two days ago, we contacted one of the breeders in my town, and we're going to him and try probing Hope that s/he turns out female!
You're probably right. I didn't ask the breeder (in depth) questions about it. That sucker was loud as hell, I just wanted to by my snakes n leave... Lol
Old 04-23-15, 05:27 AM   #29
Sylphie

Okay, It's officially a SHE! I'm so happy And she was really nice and calm during the trip and probing.
Some pics from today

Old 04-24-15, 10:17 AM   #30
prairiepanda

That's great news! And she's looking gorgeous! I know she's not breeding age yet, but do you have any idea when you'll be getting a male for her? I'd love to see this forum flooded with more Russian rats!
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
elaphe schrencki, russian rat snake