Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-14, 10:10 AM   #16
DrummingT

Re: Defanged Cobra???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
The company that you showed the gloves from, Midwest (Tongs.com), no longer even sells the gloves used for venomous snakes. Hex Armour, who makes the gloves will not even talk to you if they know you want them for handling venomous snakes. They still can be purchased through some safety equipment companies in the US, but mostly they have to be ordered through UK companies. They are simply the highest rated needle stick gloves that you can buy.

https://www.safetygloves.com/punctur...es-400r6e.html

This is HexArmor's web store.

The HexArmor Hercules R8E 3180 is no longer manufactured. According to an email from a HexArmor representative the Hercules 400R6E is the "redesigned" R8E.

HexArmor also has a four month old YouTube video for the 400R6E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zicg3xXMK40

Amazon also lists the 400R6E for sale via Enviro Safety Products for
$139.87 + $6.27 shipping

I don't know what Midwest is selling. You would have to email them.
_
Old 05-29-14, 11:02 AM   #17
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummingT View Post
https://www.safetygloves.com/punctur...es-400r6e.html

This is HexArmor's web store.

The HexArmor Hercules R8E 3180 is no longer manufactured. According to an email from a HexArmor representative the Hercules 400R6E is the "redesigned" R8E.

HexArmor also has a four month old YouTube video for the 400R6E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zicg3xXMK40

Amazon also lists the 400R6E for sale via Enviro Safety Products for
$139.87 + $6.27 shipping

I don't know what Midwest is selling. You would have to email them.
_
Those gloves you have found are listed as animal handling gloves on Midwest website. They are not the same protection as the venom defender or the Hex Armour R8E 3180. Those gloves will not stop fangs from going threw them,they only have a needle protection of 3. The Hex Armour R8E 3180 have a needle protection of 5.

I have a pair of the 400R6E, make no mistake, they are not the same gloves and do have the higher protection rating. No one should use them with venomous snakes.

Last edited by SSSSnakes; 05-29-14 at 11:08 AM..
Old 05-29-14, 03:26 PM   #18
millertime89
Forum Moderator

So I should be looking for the R8E 3180, correct?
Old 05-29-14, 03:32 PM   #19
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
So I should be looking for the R8E 3180, correct?
Yes, they are the real deal. I'm told they can no longer be found in the US.
Old 05-29-14, 05:29 PM   #20
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Well poop. I work at the race track some weekends and periodically a rattler has to be removed with some buckshot and I would love to have a little extra protection available to me so I can make the argument to relocate them rather than kill them.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-29-14, 07:34 PM   #21
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Well poop. I work at the race track some weekends and periodically a rattler has to be removed with some buckshot and I would love to have a little extra protection available to me so I can make the argument to relocate them rather than kill them.
Just google Venom Defender Gloves. They can still be ordered outside of the US.
Old 05-29-14, 07:53 PM   #22
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Know if you can order them in Canadia? I've only found Europe.
Old 05-29-14, 08:05 PM   #23
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Know if you can order them in Canadia? I've only found Europe.
I think Europe is the only place, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-30-14, 08:56 PM   #24
DrummingT

Quote:
Those gloves you have found are listed as animal handling gloves on Midwest website. They are not the same protection as the venom defender or the Hex Armour R8E 3180. Those gloves will not stop fangs from going threw them,they only have a needle protection of 3. The Hex Armour R8E 3180 have a needle protection of 5.

I have a pair of the 400R6E, make no mistake, they are not the same gloves and do have the higher protection rating. No one should use them with venomous snakes.
You are correct sir.

I have perused the pdf file for each glove.

I was emailed the R6E spec sheet (which even sounds like a model number for a lesser item - R6E vs R8E). The 400 R6E states it is TWO layers of "SuperFabric" whereas the R8E 3180 pdf spec sheet - still on the HexArmor site - states it is THREE layers of SuperFabric.

Both claim level 5 cut resistance, neither claims level 5 needle or puncture resistance in the spec sheet. Only in the video for the 400 R6E is level 3 noted for punctures.

Clearly three layers of the fabric is going to be superior. I imagine you can feel a difference in thickness?

I don't know why the best level of protection is no longer sold by HexArmor and have inquired further by email pointing out the key discrepancy and inferiority.

If I receive an answer I will share it.
_
Old 06-03-14, 08:05 AM   #25
DrummingT

I did indeed receive a reply. I have pieced the emails I sent and received together with screenshots and removed my personal information.

_
Login to remove ads
Old 06-03-14, 08:49 AM   #26
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I got one of the last pairs of Hercules NSR gauntlet gloves. These are specifically needlestick resistant and have a pierce protection rating of 5. They are also puncture resistant and tear resistant. They were on closeout when I bought them 3 years ago though, so I do not think they are manufactured anymore. You can get the NSR's as a shorter glove but you would then have to buy the gauntlet arm protectors separately. I can absolutely attest to the level of protection that these gloves provide, as the first thing I did when they arrived was stick water-filled rubber gloves inside them and coax all of my vipers to bite them. No one got through them. When I recently bought my Gaboons, I tested the gloves on them (with rubber glove dummies inside) and found that the Gaboons could not pierce the gloves.
Old 06-03-14, 01:50 PM   #27
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
When I recently bought my Gaboons, I tested the gloves on them (with rubber glove dummies inside) and found that the Gaboons could not pierce the gloves.
Ok, that's damn impressive.
Old 06-03-14, 05:47 PM   #28
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
I got one of the last pairs of Hercules NSR gauntlet gloves. These are specifically needlestick resistant and have a pierce protection rating of 5. They are also puncture resistant and tear resistant. They were on closeout when I bought them 3 years ago though, so I do not think they are manufactured anymore. You can get the NSR's as a shorter glove but you would then have to buy the gauntlet arm protectors separately. I can absolutely attest to the level of protection that these gloves provide, as the first thing I did when they arrived was stick water-filled rubber gloves inside them and coax all of my vipers to bite them. No one got through them. When I recently bought my Gaboons, I tested the gloves on them (with rubber glove dummies inside) and found that the Gaboons could not pierce the gloves.
I also own the shorter gloves with the needle stick 5 protection and have the sleeve guard separate. It is just as safe, but I don't like that it is in 2 pieces.
Old 06-04-14, 07:50 AM   #29
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Here is a link to the gloves that I own, except mine are longer. You might still be able to find longer ones at some online stores, but they'll have been sitting on shelves for a few years.
Needle Puncture and Cut Resistant Gloves: Hercules? NSR by HexArmor
Old 06-04-14, 12:14 PM   #30
DrummingT

Quote:
I also own the shorter gloves with the needle stick 5 protection and have the sleeve guard separate. It is just as safe, but I don't like that it is in 2 pieces.

EXACTLY

I've been offered that as a substitute and rejected it for that reason.

I have 100% confirmation that HexArmor still manufactures the R8E 3180 gloves and they continue to be sold in Europe and HexArmor does so with the full knowledge that these 3180 gloves are being overtly marketed and sold specifically for handling all species of venomous snakes.

They just refuse to sell them to us here in the USA. It's their business decision. They have never faced any sort of legal action in the USA. I see no evidence that this had anything to do with their refusal to sell the 3180 gloves here. Rather it seems they have decided they could make more profit by selling them overtly as snake handling gloves, but they FEAR legal action here in the USA if they do this here.

They have chosen a much larger profit margin in Europe over the continued selling of the gloves for general safety here and in Europe.

You can purchase them from the UK and the price is over $300 to have them delivered to your door.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread