border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-13, 07:57 PM   #16
smy_749

Re: Husbandry emergency, dying animal :-/

Little guy didn't make it. He was doing good until about 5 pm then he stopped eating and slowly passed. Just thought I'd update everyone.

Also about the Rescue, the closest ones are all on the other side of the state, over an hour away and probably closed since its the fourth of july.
Old 07-04-13, 08:01 PM   #17
Chu'Wuti

Thanks for letting us know, smy. You did the best you could under harsh circumstances. Sometimes we just have to try even when we can't succeed.
Old 07-04-13, 08:03 PM   #18
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu'Wuti View Post
Thanks for letting us know, smy. You did the best you could under harsh circumstances. Sometimes we just have to try even when we can't succeed.
I just felt bad for the little guy, and atleast if he was going to pass (which I was thinking from the beginning) that he could do it in a warm blanket indoors as opposed to cold and in the grass and starving. Thats nature for ya though, and I don't think anyone here who truly 'loves animals' would have done differently and left him there ....I hope.
Old 07-04-13, 08:07 PM   #19
Amadeus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
I just felt bad for the little guy, and atleast if he was going to pass (which I was thinking from the beginning) that he could do it in a warm blanket indoors as opposed to cold and in the grass and starving. Thats nature for ya though, and I don't think anyone here who truly 'loves animals' would have done differently and left him there ....I hope.
This may sound blunt, but I love nature and I would have left it. Or put it out of it's misery.

But it is nice to know some people have more compassion than me. Happy birthday smy and by bye birdie.
Old 07-04-13, 08:11 PM   #20
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
This may sound blunt, but I love nature and I would have left it. Or put it out of it's misery.

But it is nice to know some people have more compassion than me. Happy birthday smy and by bye birdie.
I was going to chop off its head with a sharp knife when I found him and leave it to the other animals to do what nature intended but my sister wanted me to try and save him, and its not completely out of the question that he could have survived so I gave it a shot. But putting it out of its misery was my first though as well.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-04-13, 09:21 PM   #21
Chris72

Exclamation Re: Husbandry emergency, dying animal :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by formica View Post
as suggested a wildlife rescue service is more likley to be able to help, baby birds need food almost constantly, and the diet is very important - i fear its chances are pretty slim even in the hands of someone with allot of experience at this point, being so young
Yes...that!

I did breed exotic birds for a long time....please take it to somone with experience. At that size they need to be eating every few hours, and they will eat to fill thier crop which is an amount of food that looks like it will suffocate the bird. (Pouch on neck) What you have been doing is highly commendable in effort and creativity but the animal is surely deteriorating. With birds you will not see it until its way too late.

In addition to the food he will need elevated warmth and humidity at that stage.

If you call the humane society and advise them of what happened, and ask them if there is someone locally who will tend to the baby bird...you will likely save his life that way. Alternatly if there is a local university or college with veteranry studies they tend also to put the animal before themselves. Ie-it might have around the clock care until it is stable.

You are in CT right?... (First hit on google search for Bird Rescue in CT :

Connecticut Wildlife Rehabilitators Association

Opens with:

If you have found an injured, orphaned or sick animal or bird, please locate a wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible.

Click here to be directed to the Department of Environmental Protection Distressed Wildlife site.

Hope that helps.....
Old 07-04-13, 09:50 PM   #22
Chu'Wuti

Chris72, please re-read post #16 by smy_749. He says, first thing, "Little guy didn't make it."
Old 07-05-13, 01:46 AM   #23
formica

good on ya for trying and making his last few hours more comfortable

you'd think with all the fireworks, that wildlife rescue would be more busy than usual on 4th of july, no? shame - although I doubt they could have done much more tbh, if they close up shop, then no-one would have been there to feed as needed
Old 07-05-13, 11:30 AM   #24
Chris72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu'Wuti View Post
Chris72, please re-read post #16 by smy_749. He says, first thing, "Little guy didn't make it."
Missed that. When I saw the pic I jumped right to the end.
Kinda felt like that would be the out come.
Birds tend to go..."I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm dead"

Anyway. Smy....good on ya' for trying.
Old 07-05-13, 01:58 PM   #25
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris72 View Post
Missed that. When I saw the pic I jumped right to the end.
Kinda felt like that would be the out come.
Birds tend to go..."I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm dead"

Anyway. Smy....good on ya' for trying.

Reptiles tend to do that as well lol It was a valuable lesson in nature for my sister, I think she cried though.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread