Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-13, 05:11 AM   #16
hunter4life

Re: Red Tail Boa Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
you work at BHB? and bought this snake from someone who works at BHB?

Are you just soaking her in water, or are you also using a mite treatment? She should REMAIN in a separate room and tank for a quarantine period of 3-9 MONTHS anyways, especially if she has mites and a mystery lesion.
Yes I work there, the snake came from his friend who was holding the boa for my coworker so he really had no control over the boa. But she's a lot better now, her contusion is going away and it seems I've killed all mites. I have mite treatment and.have.been soaking her.so it's a lot better now, she is on another room not near my collection don't worry.
Old 09-30-13, 05:21 AM   #17
hunter4life

And this has nothing to do with my work. So no reason to bring it up please.
Old 09-30-13, 05:29 AM   #18
Starbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4life View Post
I'm still debating wether to take her to my work and have her stay there and just get a new Boa at the Tinley show in two weeks or keep her and take her to the vet to be evaluated.
That is why i mentioned your work. You are talking about bringing an animal infested with mites and with a mysterious lesion to your work, where there are THOUSANDS of other snakes. That is a huge risk to your employer, and doesn't demonstrate a lot of responsibility on your part.

I'm glad she seems to be doing better, I would still take her to a vet to get the lump evaluated though.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 09-30-13, 07:12 AM   #19
hunter4life

Quote:
That is why i mentioned your work. You are talking about bringing an animal infested with mites and with a mysterious lesion to your work, where there are THOUSANDS of other snakes. That is a huge risk to your employer, and doesn't demonstrate a lot of responsibility on your part.

I'm glad she seems to be doing better, I would still take her to a vet to get the lump evaluated though.
She wouldn't go there till she had no mites, I know better to not do that. And the lump seems to be an absess or infection on her side so she will be going to get that checked out!
Old 09-30-13, 03:08 PM   #20
Robin.M

Quote:
She wouldn't go there till she had no mites, I know better to not do that. And the lump seems to be an absess or infection on her side so she will be going to get that checked out!
12 months from the last mite seen is when your snake no longer has mites. Not 2 weeks or a month like a lot of people seem to think.

I would assume you need all the help you can get if BHB is where you get your reptile knowledge (no offense to you, just BHB).

Don't expect anything from the seller. You paid $60 for a sick snake. They aren't going to pay you any money back, and there really is nothing you can do against them unless you have a signed Contractual Agreement for Provision of Goods stating the price you paid, their tax number, and a photo and description of the animal in question.

Mites are taken care of with NIX treatments (look up online), and treat the enclosure with PAM (also look up online). The lump can be looked at by a exotics vet.

Rob
Old 10-04-13, 04:27 PM   #21
hunter4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Boa View Post
12 months from the last mite seen is when your snake no longer has mites. Not 2 weeks or a month like a lot of people seem to think.

I would assume you need all the help you can get if BHB is where you get your reptile knowledge (no offense to you, just BHB).

Don't expect anything from the seller. You paid $60 for a sick snake. They aren't going to pay you any money back, and there really is nothing you can do against them unless you have a signed Contractual Agreement for Provision of Goods stating the price you paid, their tax number, and a photo and description of the animal in question.

Mites are taken care of with NIX treatments (look up online), and treat the enclosure with PAM (also look up online). The lump can be looked at by a exotics vet.

Rob

No reason to say anything about my work, we don't work with Boa's and I didn't get any advice from them besides my coworker telling me to use a little bit of oil on her to suffocate the mites under her scales. I have gotten things under control now though which is good! I've seen no mites today in her soaking bath, but I'm still going to treat her as if she still has them because I don't want mites getting to my other collection. Thank you for the advice though, it is always appreciated!
Old 10-04-13, 04:42 PM   #22
Starbuck

Oil on the scales I s not an effective mite treatment, and neither is water soaks. You need treatment with an actual product (pam, nix, etc) to be sure you are actually getting rid of all life stages, not juat the large adults.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 10-04-13, 05:54 PM   #23
hunter4life

Quote:
Oil on the scales I s not an effective mite treatment, and neither is water soaks. You need treatment with an actual product (pam, nix, etc) to be sure you are actually getting rid of all life stages, not juat the large adults.
I am using mite treatments. But the oil suffocates the mites under her scales and the soaking drowns others. And after her soaking is done she is put in her tank with fresh newspaper and it is sprayed down.
Old 10-04-13, 06:11 PM   #24
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
No reason to say anything about my work, we don't work with Boa's and I didn't get any advice from them besides my coworker telling me to use a little bit of oil on her to suffocate the mites under her scales. I have gotten things under control now though which is good! I've seen no mites today in her soaking bath, but I'm still going to treat her as if she still has them because I don't want mites getting to my other collection. Thank you for the advice though, it is always appreciated!
Did you just say BHB doesn't work with boas? If so then that's the funniest thing I've ever read.

Oil is horrible for the snake's health of it's scales. Water treatments don't really work. Tons of eggs I'm sure are left so wait a week or two, you'll have another infestation.

I'm actually starting to doubt you work with BHB....

Use what Rob said. Nix or PAM.
Old 10-04-13, 06:13 PM   #25
hunter4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Did you just say BHB doesn't work with boas? If so then that's the funniest thing I've ever read.

Oil is horrible for the snake's health of it's scales. Water treatments don't really work. Tons of eggs I'm sure are left so wait a week or two, you'll have another infestation.

I know what we have, it's not extensive like Ball Pythons or any of the colubrids is what I meant. Didn't see that typo.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-04-13, 06:14 PM   #26
hunter4life

Quote:

And if you doubt, ask Brian or come to BHB and see me work.
Old 10-04-13, 06:16 PM   #27
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
And if you doubt, ask Brian or come to BHB and see me work.
I'm not traveling to Michigan for you. From my knowledge he's got a number of them, and yes it includes all species I'm talking about. You simply said "boas". I saw him at the CRBE up here. Had a chat about his stuff.

Anyway, again, treat mites appropriately.
Old 10-04-13, 06:19 PM   #28
hunter4life

Quote:
I'm not traveling to Michigan for you. From my knowledge he's got a number of them, and yes it includes all species I'm talking about. You simply said "boas". I saw him at the CRBE up here. Had a chat about his stuff.

Anyway, again, treat mites appropriately.

I am treating them appropriately. And I see him everyday, we work with Red Tails, Columbian and Brazilian Rainbows, Nicaraguan, Kenyans. If you were going to the NARBC in Tinley then you'd see all of us there.
Old 10-04-13, 06:21 PM   #29
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I am treating them appropriately. And I see him everyday, we work with Red Tails, Columbian and Brazilian Rainbows, Nicaraguan, Kenyans. If you were going to the NARBC in Tinley then you'd see all of us there.
I live in Canada. I won't be attending.

You forgot the amazon tree boas as well as his indian sand boas unless he got rid of them.

No, you're not. You're mistreating the snake because you continue to use oil. It's bad for their scales.
Old 10-04-13, 06:23 PM   #30
hunter4life

Quote:
I live in Canada. I won't be attending.

You forgot the amazon tree boas as well as his indian sand boas unless he got rid of them.

No, you're not. You're mistreating the snake because you continue to use oil. It's bad for their scales.
I used it once? Sam told me to use this way actually. Sorry forgot about the Tree Boas. Why does it seem that you are coming off rude to me?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa constrictor help, help/care with boa, mites, urgent