border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-09, 11:08 AM   #1
Kmef07

Send a message via AIM to Kmef07
Re: New Burmese Python Owner Seeks Advice...

omg that was horrible but again im at work snowed in and it made me laugh.

However, She honestly doesn't know so you cant get mad at her for it. I agree that she should have done research but as far as she knows she is caring for the snake the way her friend (who supposedly knows about snakes) told her to. you have to give her credit for realizing that her friend's ways with snakes are unconventional and she came her for advice on how to properly care for her snake. that shows that she wants to do the right thing. so lets try and help her and not scare her away. lol
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-09, 11:09 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Umm no they don't want to do the right thing. If they did they wouldn't have tried to feed it cooked chicken. She said they asked their friend to start feeding it cooked chicken because they would feel bad to feed something with a face on it.
Old 01-27-09, 11:10 AM   #3
Kmef07

and the fact that they are hardy is what i was trying to get at. i keep my snakes at as close to the required temps as i can but in the wacky climate we are in it can be quite hard because one day it is 60f and sunny and the next it is 20f and snowy. this was the case the last couple weeks. i was just trying to hit on some positive note to make her feel a little better about it.
Old 01-27-09, 11:16 AM   #4
Kmef07

oh i read that wrong i thought her friend was already feeding the cooked chicken to all his animals.
Old 01-27-09, 11:25 AM   #5
Kmef07

yes but a baby will have problems faster than an adult will. and i know for a fact that red tail boas as adults can handle really rough conditions becuase my friend gave one to his friend and his friend put it in a pillowcase and shoved it in his closet for about 3 months. when my friend found out he took it back but it proves that adults can handle it better than babies. and yes you are right my brb as an adult will need the correct humidity just as a baby would but im speaking very loosely. some snakes are much more delicate than others and the way i said it grouped them all together and that was wrong, and yes my brb is not the hardiest of snakes no matter the age, but i was just trying to say that older snakes can handle a variation for a longer time than a baby can. is it right to vary the temp NO, but it is not the end of the world in an emergency. so yes i was wrong with the way i worded it and im sorry for that.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-09, 11:26 AM   #6
Kmef07

I was just trying to show something positive to her with her snake than just all negative
Old 01-27-09, 12:06 PM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

You're still saying things I don't like. An emergency is one thing but we're talking about a constant basis.

A baby boa won't last 3 months in a pillowcase inside a closet due to the fact it doesn't have the fat stores that an adult would have. It doesn't mean that they can grow to be more tolerant.

What I mean by a hardy snake is that if you make a mistake with humidity or temps that the snake will overcome it. That they also eat easily and will eat most anything given to them. This is not the case with all snakes. Your brazillian rainbow is pretty hardy for a species aslong as the extra humidity is met.
Old 01-27-09, 12:12 PM   #8
Kmef07

yes i agree 100% and i just worded wat i said in the first post wrong but i agree with you. i agree that by hardy that the snake will be more apt to overcome it but i agree too that it is not good for the snake to be kept at in different conditions than it is supposed to be.
Old 01-27-09, 12:39 PM   #9
Smilts

Not to cut in but showing a positive side may not be of help she needs to understand just how bad things are. She doesnt need this animal, there are lots of really nice starter snakes that are starter'sor a reason and they still need PRERESEARCH.
Her friend doesnt sound like he need these animals either for that matter. I hope she is willing to ignore everything he has told her and change her care completely around. feeding cooked chicken doesnt change the fact that some one killed then butchered the chicken by the way. At least if its whole it wasnt butchered.
Old 01-28-09, 01:24 AM   #10
Sane

Send a message via AIM to Sane Send a message via MSN to Sane Send a message via Yahoo to Sane
Thumbs down Re: New Burmese Python Owner Seeks Advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
Not to cut in but showing a positive side may not be of help she needs to understand just how bad things are. She doesnt need this animal, there are lots of really nice starter snakes that are starter'sor a reason and they still need PRERESEARCH.
Her friend doesnt sound like he need these animals either for that matter. I hope she is willing to ignore everything he has told her and change her care completely around. feeding cooked chicken doesnt change the fact that some one killed then butchered the chicken by the way. At least if its whole it wasnt butchered.
YOUR ALL IDIOTS. sincerely. seek help. soon!
things arent at all bad. everything here is all good.
screw a starter snake. no interest. i like things big. hence i have a rottweiler not a freakin chihuahua. and i care for all animals very well.
i need and deserve this snake alot more than u do. obviously.
ive had starters my whole life and been around snakes my whole life. and again ive done TONS OF PRE RESEARCH! HOW ELSE DO U THINK I FOUND THIS FORUM? I WENT TO SO MANY SITES READING B4 I BOUGHT HER IT WASNT FREAKIN FUNNY! AND ALOT OF THEM CONTRADICT AS WELL!
i also asked the pet shop people at 3 places their opinions and friends.
my friends excellent with snakes but i dont agree with alot of his methods on things hence why i do the opposite as i said in my first posting. genius. learn to read. not just jump on the bandwagon.

i didnt say it changed the fact. i hate that any animal dies period.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-09, 12:52 PM   #11
Kmef07

Quote:
She doesnt need this animal, there are lots of really nice starter snakes that are starter'sor a reason and they still need PRERESEARCH.
I agree!!!
Old 01-27-09, 01:18 PM   #12
Chu'Wuti

Quote:
Cooked chicken doesn't have what it needs to give your animal the right nutrients.
Absolutely on target; Aaron_S KNOWS what he's talking about! A snake NEEDS WHOLE PREY and NOT cooked. You won't notice the snake is becoming ill right away, but gradually its health will get worse and worse. Its bones will become increasingly fragile as well, to the point that they won't be able to bear the snake's own weight.

My stepson tried to feed a cat a vegetarian diet a couple of years ago because he's vegan. The cat finally died.

You cannot make carnivores into vegetarians; you cannot make a snake not need what it needs nutritionally, and you shouldn't even try.

Quote:
I think id rather go with majority rules for safety.
Only for you? or for the snake as well? If you care about the snake, PLEASE listen to what we are telling you.

I'm sure you're feeling attacked at this point, and I'm sorry, but this is really important. I'm usually pretty laid-back about stuff and want people to listen rather than get defensive, so I try not to attack people. But this situation even has me upset.

If you truly cannot stand the thought of feeding this snake what it needs because the prey "has a face," then please ask yourself, "Is this the right pet for me? If I cannot stand to meet its needs, is this the right pet for me?"
Old 01-27-09, 01:48 PM   #13
citysnakes

Sane, if you care about this animal you wont listen to anything that has been said in this thread.

i dont own a snake that large as im sure nobody else who posted in this thread does but all i can agree with is getting this snake to feed on whole prey animals and to never to handle it alone.

i would recommend talking to a reputable large snake breeder for care and husbandry advice. if youre interested let me know and i can get you a contact.

other than that start reading up on that bad boy.
Old 01-28-09, 03:48 AM   #14
Sane

Send a message via AIM to Sane Send a message via MSN to Sane Send a message via Yahoo to Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysnakes.com View Post
Sane, if you care about this animal you wont listen to anything that has been said in this thread.

i dont own a snake that large as im sure nobody else who posted in this thread does but all i can agree with is getting this snake to feed on whole prey animals and to never to handle it alone.

i would recommend talking to a reputable large snake breeder for care and husbandry advice. if youre interested let me know and i can get you a contact.

other than that start reading up on that bad boy.
I already did all that thanks.
Chicken counts as prey animal.
the only diff was it was cooked. because a reputable large snake breeder said it was SAFER. several people said so.
but she had the whole thing.

thanks again
Old 01-28-09, 01:29 AM   #15
Sane

Thumbs down Re: New Burmese Python Owner Seeks Advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu'Wuti View Post
Absolutely on target; Aaron_S KNOWS what he's talking about! A snake NEEDS WHOLE PREY and NOT cooked. You won't notice the snake is becoming ill right away, but gradually its health will get worse and worse. Its bones will become increasingly fragile as well, to the point that they won't be able to bear the snake's own weight.

My stepson tried to feed a cat a vegetarian diet a couple of years ago because he's vegan. The cat finally died.

You cannot make carnivores into vegetarians; you cannot make a snake not need what it needs nutritionally, and you shouldn't even try.

Only for you? or for the snake as well? If you care about the snake, PLEASE listen to what we are telling you.

I'm sure you're feeling attacked at this point, and I'm sorry, but this is really important. I'm usually pretty laid-back about stuff and want people to listen rather than get defensive, so I try not to attack people. But this situation even has me upset.

If you truly cannot stand the thought of feeding this snake what it needs because the prey "has a face," then please ask yourself, "Is this the right pet for me? If I cannot stand to meet its needs, is this the right pet for me?"

I was going to feed the snake raw chicken but i was told cooked was better and safer. so thats why i was going to cook it. i have a dog, he dont eat a vegetarian diet, hes a dog, he needs dog food. same as the snake eats chicken not a vegetarian diet. im not making my pets eat vegetarian. s o anyways! he was stupid to do that to her cat. i wouldnt do that.

I wasnt saying i only go with things for my safety. I was saying i do for mine and hers.
Yes this is the right snake for me. if yall dont agree o well.

Yall can eat animals day in and day out and not care that you are killing 3+ animals a week by doing so, yet you judge ME cuz u think i MIGHT kill ONE snake? yall are about the most ******** hyocrites i ever seen in my life. grow up. get your head out of your rectal region and see what kinna hypocrites you are.

She will live a long life and you will all be laughed at thorougly.
If she got sick and i was told it was cuz she ate chicken, id change her diet. but i am told by all these experts its fine, so im going with that. get over it.

I will be going to a forum where people are on their for something other than drama, im done here.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
burmese, female, new owner, python, sane