Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-12, 07:47 AM   #16
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Re: Atheris broadleyi CB 2011 female

I wish you could too Alessia...you always take awesome pictures.
Old 10-02-12, 07:51 PM   #17
Ivanator

Amazing snake! How potent is the venom on those guys? Are they like the eyelash vipers?
1.0 '08 sunfire retic, 0.1 '12 lavender albino tiger retic, 1.0 '12 platinum retic, 0.1 '14 goldenchild het albino retic, 1.0 '16 anthrax retic, 0.1 '16 graniteback het anthrax retic, 0.1 '16 normal HOGS retic, 1.1 amel atrox, 0.0.1 Nile monitor, 0.0.1 blue tailed monitor, 0.0.1 Mexican beaded lizard
Old 10-02-12, 08:36 PM   #18
Hannibalcanibal

i'm also interested in the venom. any reports, and what antivenom would normally be used for a bite?
Old 10-05-12, 09:01 AM   #19
Will0W783

Hannibal, there isn't a very good antivenin available for the Atheris (bush viper) genus of snakes. Sometimes, one can give sawscale viper antivenin (Echis) and see moderate to good efficacy, but it also often doesn't work.

Atheris used to be considered to be very mild, "no big deal if it bites you".....but more recently there have been deaths associated with variable bush viper and West African bush viper bites. They have a nasty cocktail of enzymes in their venom that can cause coagulopathy, hemorrhaging, blistering, kidney failure and death. So they should be taken quite seriously, even though we do not have much knowledge on the venom.
Old 10-05-12, 10:26 AM   #20
reptar

Amazing snake, I must say! Yeah there is little knowledge about their venom. I'm sure some people are looking for some venom from your viper by the way, just throwing that out there.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gregorymorgan
Login to remove ads
Old 10-05-12, 12:57 PM   #21
Will0W783

If anyone is, they can contact me. I'd be willing to provide samples for research, but I'd have to know there was a party that wanted it before I'd risk milking her. It's not fun and it's very dangerous for a person to milk a viper.
Old 10-05-12, 07:18 PM   #22
jaleely
Member of the family

sooo so so cute. i just love vipers. loooove that stubby face ...looooveee!!!
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 10-23-12, 10:17 AM   #23
Missster Snake

very nice! i love all the ateheris species its my goal to collect them all. a new one was recently discovered and ive heard someone has started a breading program with them atheris miltida i think it is. i have chlorichis and squamigera and im about to aquire netchi soon. where did you come across this snake? im very interested in getting one for myself
0.1 trimeresurus vogeli 1.1. Echis carinatus sochureki 1.1 atheris chlorechis 0.1 atheris ceratophora 1.0 atheris squamigera (red phase) 0.1 bitis gabonica 1.0 T. Albolabris Insularis 0.1 Naja kaouthia (albino) 1.0 Cerastes cerastes 0.1 Deinagkistrodon acutus 1.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus 1.0 pagona
Old 10-23-12, 10:36 AM   #24
Will0W783

Misster Snake, I found her from a local guy who'd gotten her from a breeder. She's supposedly CBB, but I don't know for sure.

I have a friend who breeds most of the Atheris in New York, and he's trying to get A. matildae in soon. Your collection sounds awesome...I also have an albino Naja kaouthia...they keep you on your toes, don't they? lol.
Old 10-23-12, 11:05 AM   #25
Missster Snake

Wow I would love to meet you friend form ny and if he has any atheris available I want them! And yeah the cobra is very aggressive but nothing compared to my wetar that snake tries to kill me every time I take it out! I was a little afraid of my cobra at first but after a few times handling him it's one of my favorites to take out and work with. Do you ever have trouble with yours sheading? Mine is about to loose the tip of his tail bc it never sheads off
0.1 trimeresurus vogeli 1.1. Echis carinatus sochureki 1.1 atheris chlorechis 0.1 atheris ceratophora 1.0 atheris squamigera (red phase) 0.1 bitis gabonica 1.0 T. Albolabris Insularis 0.1 Naja kaouthia (albino) 1.0 Cerastes cerastes 0.1 Deinagkistrodon acutus 1.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus 1.0 pagona
Login to remove ads
Old 10-23-12, 11:52 AM   #26
Will0W783

I do have some issues with my cobra shedding. I've found that keeping him on cypress mulch bedding and providing lots of cage decorations for him to rub on helps. I also mist him down every other day once he starts to cloud up and the last three sheds have been great. I would strongly suggest you get your cobra into a restraining tube and remove the stuck shed from its tail...if the tail becomes necrotic there can be a systemic infection that could seriously sicken your cobra. I'm not sure where Burlington is, but if you're at all close by, I can try to help you.

From your signature, I take it your cobra is a female? In time, she should calm down as she puts size on, but that's not a guarantee. The worst cobra I've ever dealt with was a 6' venomoid female...she was trying to bite me. My male was very easy to handle until he hit puberty...now he's tricky, but generally more bluff than actual aggression. Kaouthia want very much to scare you away, and if given the opportunity, they will attempt to frighten you, then run away when they determine it isn't working. NEVER take that for granted though....they are clever and will get you when you least expect it.

Your Wetar is aggressive? That's unusual...they are generally alert snakes, but not terribly aggressive. Mine is very curious, but not a striker. I've only been struck at once, and that was when I opened the cage to feed him....he flew out about 3 inches. I always make sure my hands are behind the doors as they open, so that I can't get nailed by wayward fangs.
Old 10-23-12, 11:53 AM   #27
Will0W783

Here's a fun "Om nom nom" pic!

This is my other girl, Nagini, a 2011 Atheris broadleyi x squamigera cross.
Old 10-23-12, 12:17 PM   #28
Missster Snake

yeah since ive added the shed box she has been doing better and its a very small piece and its not discolored but i think im gona try the restraining tube can u jus get any clear plasic tubing the size of the snake or does it need to be a certain meteral?

the weter has been very alert and aggressive since ive had him always hungry and when i open the cage he will come right out. my biggest problem is when hes on a hook he wraps about 2 inches on it dead tight and with his other 12 or 13 inches is trying to get me as best he can lol im hopeing as he gets older he will calm down more.
Old 10-23-12, 12:18 PM   #29
Missster Snake

wow thats awesome!!! how many hots do u have? and how many atheris?
Old 10-24-12, 05:03 PM   #30
Will0W783

Yikes, your Wetar sounds like he thinks he's a purpureomaculatus! Lol.
Mine is always hungry too, but not terribly aggressive. I like aggressive vipers- I know exactly what to expect from them, instead of being in edge for the day they will snap.
My venomous are as follows:
1.1 2012 Southern copperheads (Penny and Rusty)
0.2 Wagler's temple vipers (Bisa Ular and Jade)
1.0 Wetar Island pit viper (Parallax)
0.1 Atheris broadleyi (Xena)
0.1 Atheris broadleyi x squamigera (Nagini)
0.1 Atheris chlorechis (Selina)
2.2 Eyelash vipers (Loki, Green Goblin, Mystique and Pyro)
1.0 albino monocled cobra (Shelby)

If you search my thread history, you should be able to find pictures of most of them.

Last edited by alessia55; 10-24-12 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: spelling of eyelash
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
broadleyi, bush viper, eating