border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-12, 12:53 PM   #16
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Re: Retic Feeding question - thoughts please :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
We never let the kids touch/hold the snakes at the talks, in our home we always make them wash their hands first - but i would never let them hold Doc anyways as he is too powerful for a child
i knew you would have the safety side covered mate

i was just thinking out loud

the tongs my mate uses for his burm's,are made of half inch square steel.just over 3ft in length

i'll try and find out where he got them from,as they are really good for big agressive feeders mate

cheers shaun
Old 04-23-12, 01:06 PM   #17
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Instal a piece of PVC pipe into the top of his cage. Put a clean out cap on the outside . When feeding time comes around just unscrew the cap and drop the rat down the pipe.. he won't be able to see when the cap is opened. You may also be able to find a one way valve for the bottom of the pipe.
Old 04-23-12, 01:08 PM   #18
jaleely
Member of the family

i haven't had a snake that big. my biggest is my 4.25 foot male ball python...he has a huge head...but we're able to feed him outside of his enclosure. He's pretty docile though, unless he's truly hungry and his strike is right on.
My dumeril's boa female is supposed to get about 8 feet or so...she's still a baby now though.
I guess i'm trying to figure out in my mind how much bigger your snake is, to know if it's possible to hook him out and place him somewhere else...THEN get the food thawed or whatever ready to present it to him.
Or, turn off the heat stuff for about a half hour before feeding, so when the warm food goes in, he may only strike at the warm spot?
maybe that would help? I would worry he's going to hurt himself, too!
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 04-23-12, 01:10 PM   #19
jaleely
Member of the family

i wondered something like that korbin, but i wasn't sure how the set up is and it may not work that way. Maybe they can figure something out like that. like a food slide. he'd probably hang out under the opening all the time waiting for food *lol*
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 04-23-12, 01:28 PM   #20
UwabamiReptiles
Abracadabra Holmes

I have a female carpet that has started striking at me through the door everytime she thinks its feeding time. I just open her cage with a hook and feed with long tongs. She's not as crazy as your retic sounds but this works for me.
Old 04-23-12, 01:51 PM   #21
marvelfreak
Captain America

Rob i am having the same issue with my Yellow Anaconda. Have a question when you open the cage door does it go up, down, or to the side?
Old 04-23-12, 01:58 PM   #22
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

My take.
I have a super aggressive feeder in my house here. My king is brutal. When we feed him we thaw his food in another room. Bring the thawed food into his room ,open his viv and stick it right in his face. By the time the scent hits him and he goes wild the only thing to strike at is the rat. So the above takes 20 seconds from hot water to in snakes mouth. No time to be in feed mode before prey is introduced. Before this he has jumped right out the viv door to get at prey. Now picking up a hungry king is much safer than a hungry retic but I still don't wanna do that again. Good luck.
Old 04-23-12, 02:57 PM   #23
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Will try to answer a string of questions in one post

The viv doors slide sideways. He goes into feeding mode LITERALLY as soon as the prey comes out of the freezer - i walk past his viv to head to the kitchen and he is docile, get rats out of the freezer and leave them in the kitchen, walk back into the living room and he is at the glass waiting

Feeding out of his viv is in no way possible, opening the door wide enough to slip a rat through the gap has him with his mouth wide open striking through the gap - i would never attempt to touch a retic in feed mode, and it takes him roughly 72 hours to come out of feed mode after he has eaten.

Keep the ideas coming please
Old 04-23-12, 03:02 PM   #24
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Mount the pipe on the side of the viv.
Old 04-23-12, 03:04 PM   #25
Lankyrob

He is in the middle of a three viv stack and i have ZERO diy skills, no idea where i would even start
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-12, 03:10 PM   #26
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Rob, have you seen viperkeeper feed his Palestine Viper called "the weasel"? He stands to the side as he slides the door open with a pair of tongs to keep extra distance, then, still standing to the side (rather than directly in front) offers the rat.

At least your retic is a good eater!
Old 04-23-12, 03:48 PM   #27
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Post a picture of the set up.
Old 04-23-12, 04:08 PM   #28
Lankyrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Post a picture of the set up.
He is in the middle of the centre stack
Old 04-23-12, 04:31 PM   #29
jaleely
Member of the family

hmm so we need to think about it all differently here. He's reacting to the smell...but maybe we can also get him to learn to react to not only the smell, but something else.

when we were silly with snakes...back when we only had our first baby ball python, we used to take her out and let her slither through some pvc pipes...at the end of the pipes would be the food item on a plate. She learned really quickly about this and it was totally cute. She'd be out, and chill...but when we brought out the pipes she'd get all excited and eventually soar through them flicking her tongue to get to the food at the end.

I know it may be hard to feed him in a sperate environment. I also haven't had a snake continue with feeding mode after it's eaten, but that's also because i try to change conditions so that they know when "feeding time" has been completed. Just a story...maybe someone else could think of how to make something happen for you.
Old 04-23-12, 04:43 PM   #30
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Are those doors glass or acrylic?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread