border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Photography Discussion.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-15, 01:11 PM   #16
Bubblevideo

Re: Pykey my GTP from Wamena COLOR PHASES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_V View Post
Nope 20 years of experience with these creatures and I am going to stick by what the chondro godfathers taught us.

Bubble,
It is beneficial for you holding the snake yes, but is causing undue stress on the animal as well as leading to a situation in where an already hyped up chondro is now being held so shortly after a meal. Which is bad for arboreal snakes. I dont know of any big name chondro keeper that uses this technique or recommends it to their clients. Most advise against it because the snakes will condition themselves to know the prey item is coming next and start to snap in the cage thinking its time to eat.

I hold every single one of my chondros, physical examination are a key part of chondro husbandry and needed to be part of any collection of any species.

I understood completely but once again I can yell from 2 inches or whisper from 2 inches and none of my chondros is going to react to it. The talking helps the handler calm down, the snake is not going to become Pavlovian trained in any way because of sound via persons mouth. They would much more likely recognize a persons smell than anything else.

Hope that helps.
You have to be funniest person alive. When you get 2 inches from a chondros face and yell while it in its environment please take video i would love to see it and i didnt give a time limit on when to pick up your chondro after feeding. You must not know how to read. All of this is my experience and you are making yourself look like an ***. another thing i never said get a neonate to start with, i said a young one typo said youngster. Please stay off my post and bother someone else
Old 01-28-15, 02:01 PM   #17
reptiledude987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_V View Post
Rico, before he passed, left us an article "Why get Bitten" in Reptiles Magazine i believe. There are also a few other videos on handling from Rico that Frank, a very talented videographer made a while back. I think he goes by Darkpast on Youtube.

Im not sure what the above poster is talking about but snakes dont have ears and there are no studies about soundwaves being beneficial. They smell every single pheromone you give off, so if you are afraid and nervous they already know before you do. Talking is not going to make a difference unless it calms YOU down.

Please do not use another container to feed a chondro, you are asking for trouble and going to get bitten. Their feeding response is beyond most other snakes so unless you are really comfortable with a PO'd snake every single time you feed I would advise against the stress another container causes.

Do not try to handle any creature under 1 year old. Neonate are fragile and have small bone structures that are easily damaged. I raised countless ones years ago when I used to be in the industry. Come on over to MVF forum and start reading up and be prepared to lose a lot of time reading over old posts, great info everywhere.

Always approach from below, I use a cupping of my hands on both side of the perch then gently lift upwards. Most of the time my little ones just happily come out for a cruise, as long as nothing smells like food in the room.

Cheers.
I agree with this. the snake shouldnt be removed from viv to feed it causes undue stress on the animal and should be avoided if at all possible. There have been several threads on the forum where this has been discussed at great lengths. I'd reccomment you give the great feeding debate thread. As far as talking to them goes sure they sence the vibrations but they could care less if you play a lullaby or play them death metal. As v stated the talking is likely more soothing for you than the animal.
Old 01-28-15, 02:26 PM   #18
Bubblevideo

Well I agree with both of you on this as far as a time limit goes for feeding i give them 1 day. But as you know and it was stated in the thread no time limit was given but i have six feeding cages for my chondros. i put them in another cage and it knows were they get fed. That way they know whats up because of there since of smell. Thats why i wont get bit. I havent been bit in several years doing this. I havent lost a snake by doing this. Ive sold many.. All my chondros you can hold. and can let them get face close. Just because you say so doesnt make it scripture. If voice is the object here does it really matter and for people to say talking to your snakes is useless, I find it Hilarious. and thats truly funny by the way you wasted your time on that subject...lol
Old 01-28-15, 02:46 PM   #19
Bubblevideo

I thought posting these pics were an act of kindness to enjoy others conversation about the pics and talk about my chondros. If you want bash go somewhere else please.
Old 01-28-15, 03:00 PM   #20
reptiledude987

No one is bashing simply giving advice from expierence.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-28-15, 03:19 PM   #21
Cmwells90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblevideo View Post
I thought posting these pics were an act of kindness to enjoy others conversation about the pics and talk about my chondros. If you want bash go somewhere else please.
You must understand that a lot of people who view these forums are new to keeping snakes, we try to make sure that all information is provided if someone disagrees then we'll voice our opinion. GTP are known for being aggresive and bitty, it's just how they are. But don't get confused, this isn't YOUR post, it's public. So if you post publicly, then expect others to offer opinions or to rebuttle. We're not saying it's wrong or that you're doing anything wrong, but we do want both sides of the opinion available. I don't think anyone here is trying to be rude of bash you, we all love snakes and want to do the best we can.

Tags
color phases, green tree python, gtp, photography, wamena