border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Corallus Family

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-09, 09:08 PM   #16
BP_okay

Re: New ETB on the way- advice/tips?

Beautiful snake!!! I hope to have one an ETB someday and it's good to know they can be or are tamer than their reputation precedes them. You are one lucky gal Congrats
Old 04-30-09, 01:18 AM   #17
Rob McRobbie

My advice to you is do not buy it... It looks awful thin and is surely a wild caught animal... In the coming months, CB baby emeralds will be hitting the market and you will thank yourself over and over again for waiting and purchasing captive bred....

Rob
Old 04-30-09, 05:56 AM   #18
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I already got her, hence the pictures. She is thin, but she eats well and seems to be doing well for me. I have had her a month and a half now and she is great. She was wild-caught as a hatchling, but had been with Herpterra for two years before I got her.
Old 04-30-09, 01:12 PM   #19
Rob McRobbie

I really am not intending on insulting you... but if Herpterra had the animal for 2 years prior to you acquiring it... then they were not properly taking care of it... For your sake, I hope the animal turns around and puts on weight for you. However, what I said in my original post comes from years of trying to rehabilitate wild caught emeralds... Now, i wouldn't accept one if someone paid me to take it..

Rob
Old 04-30-09, 01:49 PM   #20
Will0W783

Don't worry, I'm not insulted- sorry if I came off that way; it's been a bad week at work..lol. Anyway, Herpterra told me she was eating once a month, she's been eating every other week for me, so twice a month. She has been checked for parasites and she's clean. She is alert and curious and seems to be enjoying her new setup. I am keeping an eye on her to see if I can get some meat on her bones though, because she does look a bit slim to me. I am confident she will do well. She is also only 2 years old, so not an adult yet, which may have something to do with it? But being as I already have her, and I adore her and couldn't part with her, any advice from you as you've had experience with ETBs would be appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-01-09, 12:02 PM   #21
Rob McRobbie

All I can say is put the weight on her slowly... If you push the issue when it comes to feeding, they will not do well as their digestive systems are fine tuned on taking sporadic meals... After 3 meals, wait for a bowel movement.. The last thing you want is for her to give you a meal back..

Rob
Old 05-01-09, 12:54 PM   #22
Will0W783

Yeah, I've read that when they start regurgitating, they usually keep doing it. She has eaten twice since I got her and hasn't pooped yet, so I guess I should wait for a poop before she eats again right? I don't want to overfeed her, but I also want her to get enough nutrients, because she did lose a bit of weight the first month when she wouldn't eat for me. She is looking a bit better now though, although of course that might just be my perspective, since I now know she's eaten twice. It is very neat to watch her eat, hanging down from her perch. Also, since she is very tame and can be handled, how long after a meal should I wait before I resume handling her? I figured at least 5-6 days, is that good?
Old 05-01-09, 06:35 PM   #23
Chu'Wuti

Quote:
I guess I should wait for a poop before she eats again right?
Yes, I think so. You don't want to overload her digestive system. You can probably begin handling her about the third or fourth day after a meal without causing regurg. But let her digestive system finish its job & clean out before feeding again.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-09, 07:40 PM   #24
ethanpage

hi
i will like to know if your snake is still available and if so please provide me with more information on the snake
i have always dream t to having a snake and now my dream is about to come true
Old 05-02-09, 08:39 AM   #25
Will0W783

Thank you all for the great advice!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
care, emerald tree boa, etb, housing