border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-14, 05:53 AM   #16
reptimama

Re: Strange scales on new Carpet

It isn't an infection, most likely stuck shed. When I got him his temps were up over 100 in his set up because the guy was using a basking bulb, like for a bearded dragon, and a UTH so I've dropped them down closer to the 80's by removing the basking bulb. I've also removed some of the plexi-glass to allow for more air circulation. It didn't change them after the vet visit, I changed them after I got him. I measure them with a digital combo thermometer/hydrometer. And yes, reptile vet.
Mama of: 0.1.1 BRB, 0.0.1 BP, 0.0.1 Fl. King Snake, 0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python, 0.1 Bearded Dragon, 0.0.4 RES, 1.0 Rat, 0.1 mouse, 0.1 hamster, 0.1 Boxer/Rottie mix, 0.1 Blue Tick Coon Hound, 1.0 Dachshund, 1.0 Boxer, 3.2 cats, 30 gallon aquarium, 2.0 children, and last but not least 1.0 spouse
Old 05-17-14, 06:11 AM   #17
formica

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptimama View Post
It isn't an infection, most likely stuck shed. When I got him his temps were up over 100 in his set up because the guy was using a basking bulb, like for a bearded dragon, and a UTH so I've dropped them down closer to the 80's by removing the basking bulb. I've also removed some of the plexi-glass to allow for more air circulation. It didn't change them after the vet visit, I changed them after I got him. I measure them with a digital combo thermometer/hydrometer. And yes, reptile vet.
kool if its stuck shed, I would also suggest giving him a humid hide (hide stuffed with damp sphag moss)

was that ambient temps, or basking site surface temp?

you want to set the basking temp a bit higher than that, 90 is what I set mine at - but that is not the air temp, that is the substrate temperature directly below the heater, so put the probe directly above/below the heater on the substrate

ambient temps around 80 are fine
Old 05-17-14, 06:53 AM   #18
Mikoh4792

I'd advise getting a thermostat to control the heat sources.
Old 05-17-14, 07:33 AM   #19
formica

/\ yep...thermostat is essential
Old 05-17-14, 05:42 PM   #20
reptimama

He has a humid hide and thermostat is next on my list, vet visit was first, and SOMETHING to measure temps/humidity b/c originally there was nothing in there for that. I also have to get another UTH because the other one fell off :-P Couldn't get a picture today but I'll try again tomorrow.
Mama of: 0.1.1 BRB, 0.0.1 BP, 0.0.1 Fl. King Snake, 0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python, 0.1 Bearded Dragon, 0.0.4 RES, 1.0 Rat, 0.1 mouse, 0.1 hamster, 0.1 Boxer/Rottie mix, 0.1 Blue Tick Coon Hound, 1.0 Dachshund, 1.0 Boxer, 3.2 cats, 30 gallon aquarium, 2.0 children, and last but not least 1.0 spouse
Login to remove ads
Old 05-17-14, 05:52 PM   #21
Mikoh4792

I'd reccomend an ultratherm heat mat. You can use aluminum or duct tape to stick it on the bottom.

Ultratherm Heat Pads
Old 05-17-14, 07:36 PM   #22
sharthun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
I'd reccomend an ultratherm heat mat. You can use aluminum or duct tape to stick it on the bottom.

Ultratherm Heat Pads
Yeah, this is one heat mat that you can run without a thermostat. Although, I always use themostats and recommend as essential equipment.

Steve
Old 05-18-14, 12:38 PM   #23
reptimama

This is the best picture I could get today. Either he wasn't cooperating or my camera was acting up :-P

Old 05-18-14, 01:20 PM   #24
formica

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharthun View Post
Yeah, this is one heat mat that you can run without a thermostat. Although, I always use themostats and recommend as essential equipment.
I bought two of those last year, wanted to know what the fuss was about, I was disappointed to read temps of 45C and 48C when not controlled by a thermostat...not the sort of basking temps I'd like to find in a snake enclosure!
Old 05-22-14, 04:17 PM   #25
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptimama View Post
if its really stuck on hard I would use viscotears eye gell or ky jelly,any water based lubricant will do,just put a decent coating over the stuck shed and once its moist it should peel off with your finger nail,just keep a close eye on the scales as you do it

if its not too badly stuck,then I use a warm bath and rub it off with my fingers,or peel it off as you would a piece of sticky tape off a parcel,again keep an eye on the scales as you do it

he will be fine if you submerge his head under water for 20,30,40 seconds to get the retained shed soaked

sorry but I can't make out if its retained shed in your picture,a close up pic of the affected area would be good,retained shed tends to look like dry skin on top of the scales

cheers shaun
Closed Thread