border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-11, 08:03 AM   #136
Isaac's Ark

Re: retic mouth?

Thank you TeaNinja. A little full of our self are we? I felt like I was reading a line of government questioning, worry about your burms let him worry about his retic and the 2 of you will grow in this hobby together. Such questioning is inappropriate. The New World Order is not here yet so lets not usher it in ok.
Old 03-18-11, 09:09 AM   #137
maitre

I'm just concerned about the general health of his retic, how he plans on bringing it back to health, and how he plans on keeping it healthy. My questions are real life considerations that every animal keeper should think about. One's finances will have a direct impact on one's ability to care for an animal.
Old 03-18-11, 12:24 PM   #138
Sapphyr

Send a message via MSN to Sapphyr Send a message via Skype™ to Sapphyr

Sorry Tea, but I kind of disagree with you. Yes, I understand this is a thread about the mouth, but after all this, it really makes us concerned about the general health, and the life, this snake will be getting. It's not to nit pick or to rant, it's genuine concern for this animal's well being.

I'm sure Maitre isn't trying to start anything, they're just concerned, as would any one else be. I believe we all have a right to be concerned about this animal.

I know that, for parents that aren't really into reptiles, the parents generally aren't all that educated about reptiles, let alone a specific snake. Once again, I'm not saying his parents aren't educated, but I'd assume they aren't 100% filled in. If they are, then kudos. I applaud a family that's willing to fork out that much money for their son just on his wants and not needs. I know my parents would sooner smack me upside the head than pay for new enclosures that will cost hundreds of dollars because I'm unemployed and can't afford it myself.

It's just, they need to know this snake will grow at a fairly fast rate, as Maitre said. It won't reach full size for 2 - 3 years, maybe even more than that, but it will still be a -big- snake within its first year. I don't know the employment state up in Canada, but if it's anything like it is here, Scott will be waiting a long time for a job. Meanwhile, his snake will be growing, growing, growing and will need a few upgrades to accommadate the growth rate.
Ryu - Adult Leopard Gecko(M)
Old 03-18-11, 01:05 PM   #139
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitre View Post
I'm glad the swelling is going down. I would still encourage you to take it to the vet when you get a chance just to get a lookover. A checkup should be <$100 so try to talk your parents into it.

Btw, I'm just curious to know how you're affording this snake at all. Do you have a part time job? Who is paying for its food, enclosures, etc? You said you're 17 so are you planning on going to university/college? Who is going to take care of the snake if/when you're in school? Most institutes don't allow giant snakes in their dorms.

It will take some time for your retic to reach full size but retics are known to hit 7- 10 feet in their first year. That isn't full size but it is still a large, large snake that will need at least a 4x2x1' enclosure. But then they keep growing and growing and you'll need larger and larger enclosures.

What's your long-term plan for this snake?
well i plan on getting an apartment. i plan on building my own custom enclosure out of melamine for her and i am considering using a radiant heat panel for it. the apartments dont care as long as it is a caged animal so thats all good. working on the part time job though (just putting out applications to many different places). and well i gotta hurry and get a job to save up money for the enclosure which i priced would cost around 600 bucks and the very least. at the vet i found an examination is like 45 bucks so it wont be too expensive. (yet another edit) the college i am going to is literally within 2 miles from my house.

Last edited by scottyy; 03-18-11 at 01:16 PM..
Old 03-18-11, 01:10 PM   #140
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphyr View Post
Sorry Tea, but I kind of disagree with you. Yes, I understand this is a thread about the mouth, but after all this, it really makes us concerned about the general health, and the life, this snake will be getting. It's not to nit pick or to rant, it's genuine concern for this animal's well being.

I'm sure Maitre isn't trying to start anything, they're just concerned, as would any one else be. I believe we all have a right to be concerned about this animal.

I know that, for parents that aren't really into reptiles, the parents generally aren't all that educated about reptiles, let alone a specific snake. Once again, I'm not saying his parents aren't educated, but I'd assume they aren't 100% filled in. If they are, then kudos. I applaud a family that's willing to fork out that much money for their son just on his wants and not needs. I know my parents would sooner smack me upside the head than pay for new enclosures that will cost hundreds of dollars because I'm unemployed and can't afford it myself.

It's just, they need to know this snake will grow at a fairly fast rate, as Maitre said. It won't reach full size for 2 - 3 years, maybe even more than that, but it will still be a -big- snake within its first year. I don't know the employment state up in Canada, but if it's anything like it is here, Scott will be waiting a long time for a job. Meanwhile, his snake will be growing, growing, growing and will need a few upgrades to accommadate the growth rate.
well they didnt pay for her or her enclosures or her food. i had/have to. and here in michigan its not too bad. my friends at school can find a job so i figure i should be able to find something. and i think that i will get a 4x2x1 enclosure and then upgrade to her lifetime enclosure
Login to remove ads
Old 03-18-11, 01:17 PM   #141
Jenn_06

where in MI are you? and for 600 you can get a really nice cage for that and its great for retics, if you want to know there website just PM me.
Old 03-18-11, 06:41 PM   #142
TeaNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitre View Post
I'm just concerned about the general health of his retic, how he plans on bringing it back to health, and how he plans on keeping it healthy. My questions are real life considerations that every animal keeper should think about. One's finances will have a direct impact on one's ability to care for an animal.
so you think by grilling into him and questioning him for abunch of personal info it will help? if he ended up failing miserably are you going to drive to his house and pick up the snake. if not i do not see the point in such direct personal questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphyr View Post

once again i'm going to emphasize, it's HIS business. sure you can be concerned for his animal, and like i said you can give him all the pointers in the world on what cage to have, how to feed it, what substrate and many other points. but to demand abunch of personal information on the internet in front of thousands of people to pretty much attempt to show how incompetant he is as a handler is complete BS. if he moves out of his parents house with his snake, he will have to make the correct decisions for it, probably along with some good advice around here. if he doesn't move out of his parents house and they don't know it's going to be a monster, they will find out and have to deal with it. they should have looked in his room and known that he had a snake and asked him about it. if I were a parent and my child were to get something like that, i'd research it like a smart person.

like i said before, his snake will eventually become a monster. if he or his parents don't understand and take precautions for this, they will suffer.

other then offering good advice and opinions it's none of our business.

i'm a very nice person, but when i see people taking low blows on each other it pisses me off.

Last edited by TeaNinja; 03-18-11 at 06:50 PM..
Old 03-18-11, 07:14 PM   #143
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Just gone back and reread maitre's post to see what the fuss is about and to be honest, to me, it sounds more like maitre is raising potential problems for scotty to think about rwther than demanding personal information. If scotty gave a simple "i have considered all these points, thanks" answer then that would be as acceptable as the answers he did give. As scotty seemedto have no issue with the wuestions (he has shown previously that he can answer anything he doesnt like) then teaninja you are exagerating a problem that isnt really there.
Old 03-18-11, 07:37 PM   #144
TeaNinja

ofc i can't tell verbal context from the text, but i just feel like everything maitre said are things that are complete common knowledge and maybe he just felt like sparking something. if i'm wrong and he was just trying to help him for future snake care then i take it back in this one instance, but i've seen countless other posts that are perfect examples of what i'm talking about.
Old 03-18-11, 07:43 PM   #145
mykee
Super Genius

Last five pages; nothing but semantics. Let this thread die already.
Old 03-18-11, 09:38 PM   #146
emilybier

^^^ Agreed.
Old 03-18-11, 09:39 PM   #147
emilybier

I say we end this and handle the situation better next time. Everyone agrees that the snake should go to the vet and that he should be expecting his snake to grow up to be huge. Other than that, what is done is done, and this is just beating a dead horse.
Old 03-18-11, 10:44 PM   #148
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyy View Post
the swelling is almost completely gone
well that's good hope Iit's going good for ya.
Old 03-19-11, 07:07 AM   #149
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_06 View Post
where in MI are you? and for 600 you can get a really nice cage for that and its great for retics, if you want to know there website just PM me.
i live in muskegon
Old 03-20-11, 06:00 AM   #150
Sapphyr

Send a message via MSN to Sapphyr Send a message via Skype™ to Sapphyr

Sorry, didn't notice he was in the US. Down here, it took one of my friends 6 months to find a job. The other took 8 months. Just saying, you could be in for a long wait. I'm honestly expecting a long... long... wait for my job when I do start applying. I really hope Summer Hiring saves my hind from waiting too long.

And Tea, we're not trying to take low blows. If I were trying to take low blows, trust me, you'd know. We're just concerned and trying to help. And as Rob said, Scott doesn't seem to mind.

Also, you should know I'm, generally, a nice person. I don't try and pick fights with anyone.
Ryu - Adult Leopard Gecko(M)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread