border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-16, 12:10 AM   #1
Justinbolleurs

Question First time caring for newly born boas

Hi. So my female Nicaraguan boa are likely to have a litter in about 3 weeks and was wondering if someone can give me advice about what to prepare for and how to feed the newly born babies that I'm going to be having.
First is, do I start them directly on dead food seeming that I can stock up? I know some can be a struggle getting to eat so what tricks are there to get them eating? I bred with corn snakes and they can be very finicky about eating and can be a bit frustrating at times, would getting boas to eat similar to the tricks you learn from corns?
First time breeding with boas so I'm a bit clueless.. If you have any advise for me please feel free to tell me what they are

Thanks. Justin
Old 03-30-16, 11:38 PM   #2
bigsnakegirl785

Re: First time caring for newly born boas

You won't need to offer any food until they absorb the yolk. From my understanding, that will be 1-2 weeks, or shortly after their first or second shed, not sure which.

It shouldn't be tricky to get boa constrictors to eat once they've absorbed, they're a rather ravenous group of snakes, but they likely won't be hungry if they've still got yolk. Now, getting them to eat f/t right off the bat may be another story, so you may have to start them on live, but they shouldn't generally be too difficult to switch after a few feedings, when they're established.

Some seasoned breeders will probably come along with any sorts of tips and tricks. I'll be following as well, since people usually discuss breeding timelines moreso than newborn care.
Old 03-31-16, 07:21 AM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

I would recommend keeping all babies on moist paper towel with a small water dish until they have had their first shed. Their umbilicus may be partially opened until that first shed and it should be kept moist. Some breeders keep their babies together until the first shed, some do not, it's really up to you.

As BSG said in regards to feeding, the yolk must be absorbed first. They'll have their first shed within a week to 10 days and they're normally good to eat at that time but some will take a bit longer. They actually eat f/t pretty readily provided you tease them with tongs and the item is warm. Try doing this with f/t, and for those that don't take after 2 f/t offerings, use live. Even though corns are generally pretty easy to start on f/t, boas are easier. Also make sure you have a hook/gloves ready for momma when it's all over because she will be defensive. Move her from the cage before trying to remove the babies and give her a damp wipe down as any fluid on her from birthing she will smell on herself and it will keep her defensive. Some of them can be easy going, but I had some big girls that were absolutely nuts at this time.
Old 03-31-16, 02:54 PM   #4
Mad Max

Mine got a live hopper every week for the first month, but he switched to frozen without hesitation.
Closed Thread

Tags
baby boas, breeding boas, feeding boas, newly born