border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-16, 04:27 PM   #1
Keira

Boa+cold climate.. Help!

OK so long story short I have a red tail boa, currently living in Florida but moving to Illinois. How should I set up her tank for optimal conditions to keep her healthy and happy? She's about 3 feet now.
Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome thank u!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-11-16, 04:41 PM   #2
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87
Re: Boa+cold climate.. Help!

RHP, or pad set on a thermostat will definitely do the trick.
Old 01-11-16, 05:08 PM   #3
Sasha2

I used to insulate the back, bottom and sides with either reflectix or thick cardboard or you could get some insulating foamboard. I keep mine it tubs now, just easier to control temps.
Also part of the lid should be covered to keep in humidity.
Old 01-11-16, 05:20 PM   #4
reptiledude987

Im in canada and using typical heat sources like lights heat pads and heat pannels with tstats its not difficult to maintain temps. It will just take a little time to set up the tstat do dial in proper temps but theres a number of devices that can be used. None are right or wrong as long as your temps end up in the proper range.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 01-11-16, 11:23 PM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

I have a snake room that I heat to maintain temps.

I'd definitely advise heating sources like CHEs or RHPs. You will still need to maintain a minimum room temp of at least 70-75F, but you shouldn't have to keep it as warm as if you had everyone on flexwatt/UTH.
Old 01-11-16, 11:52 PM   #6
havoc_vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
I have a snake room that I heat to maintain temps.

I'd definitely advise heating sources like CHEs or RHPs. You will still need to maintain a minimum room temp of at least 70-75F, but you shouldn't have to keep it as warm as if you had everyone on flexwatt/UTH.
+1
The ceramic heat emitter has really helped me with my retic and sulcata tortise
Old 01-12-16, 12:25 AM   #7
Keira

Thanks for all the tips! I have a small electric heater if I were to set that up near her tank along with either the heat tape or an UTH would this be good? Or maybe cause problems? I'm having trouble keeping her tank warm now even with an UTH and modified lid to keep humidity in.
Old 01-12-16, 02:27 AM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira View Post
Thanks for all the tips! I have a small electric heater if I were to set that up near her tank along with either the heat tape or an UTH would this be good? Or maybe cause problems? I'm having trouble keeping her tank warm now even with an UTH and modified lid to keep humidity in.
You don't have to set it up near her, just in the same room. If the heater is too close her tank could easily become too hot. If it's faced away if should be fine, maybe. I'd keep the heater at least 4' away from the tank if it's not faced in the opposite direction.
Old 01-12-16, 02:53 AM   #9
dannybgoode

I would use some form of rhp or che. Heat mats aren't so useful with the big snakes as they cannot heat all the muscle mass and can cause problems with digestion etc-the bottom third of the snake tends to be heated but not the rest.

I have a 48*18" viv + a 150W Che with an oversized metal guard round it because che's kick out a lot of heat. Keeps the hot spot at 91f, the warm end at 82-85 and the cool end at 73.

DO NOT place the thermostat probe at substrate level. If your snake decides to sleep on it or something gets moved over it then the thermostat my incorrectly read a cooler temperature and turn up the heat to potentially dangerous levels.

My stat allows different temps throughout the day which I like as it mimics nature better. It's the microclimate evo which I don't know if you get your side of the pond but you can get similar. In any event DO NOT use an rhp or che without a stat. Ever.

I stick mine to the back of the tank about 1/3 along the length and 8" from the substrate and use a temperature gun to measure the temp of the hot spot. Requires a bit of fiddling to get it at up right but works well.

I live in Sheffield, England and winters can be cold and this setup is proving to be good. Snake feeding well and sheds without issues...
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus

Last edited by dannybgoode; 01-12-16 at 03:01 AM..
Old 01-12-16, 07:35 AM   #10
Keira

Thanks snakgirl and Danny. I'll look into the CHE... Just gotta wait for the move lol for now she has the uth and the room heater and when I move her tank is getting an up grade.. preferably a custom build Idk yet lol oh has any one ever had issues with the front sliding doors on an enclosure.. I've heard it's a bad idea for larger snakes.. thoughts?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-12-16, 08:01 AM   #11
dannybgoode

Front sliders are fine if you put a lock on them. It's not unknown for snakes to slide open a door.

That said you'd want a lock on a top hinged door as a large snake could push that open also.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 01-12-16, 10:58 AM   #12
Keira

I was thinking the same... Thankfully she hasn't really tried to push on her lid yet but just in case I bought the meal clamp things for her lol
Old 01-12-16, 11:04 AM   #13
Keira

Figure I would try to post a pic let's hope they come through lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0021.jpg (23.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0022.jpg (23.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-12-16, 11:15 AM   #14
dannybgoode

Nice snake. Love boas she's a peach...
Old 01-12-16, 06:32 PM   #15
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira View Post
Thanks snakgirl and Danny. I'll look into the CHE... Just gotta wait for the move lol for now she has the uth and the room heater and when I move her tank is getting an up grade.. preferably a custom build Idk yet lol oh has any one ever had issues with the front sliding doors on an enclosure.. I've heard it's a bad idea for larger snakes.. thoughts?
I would not advise using anything other than sliding glass doors. It's way safer, and you can have more control over your contact with the snake. It's especially useful for feeding time, which is the most dangerous time to be around a large snake, as you can open one side and stay off to the other side. Then when they strike you aren't in their grab zone.
Closed Thread

Tags
cold weather, red tailed boa