border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-15, 04:00 PM   #1
Conner Richter

Question mercury vapor bulb questions?

I was just wondering if anyone out there uses the fluker sun spot 100 watt mercury vapor bulb.If so what kind of light fixture do you have it in.How long do they last typically.

Last edited by Conner Richter; 09-22-15 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: forgot to add a question.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-22-15, 05:01 PM   #2
eminart

Re: mercury vapor bulb questions?

Go to lowes or Home Depot and get one of the dome lights with the ceramic socket (not the cheaper plastic sockets). I've used several brands of mvb. They usually last 6 months to a year.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 09-23-15, 09:37 AM   #3
jarich

Re: mercury vapor bulb questions?

I would not recommend that particular brand if you decide to go with an MVB. Typically the Fluker and Exoterra brands do not last long at all (3-4 months) and are more spot lights rather than flood, which is what you want.

If you want an MVB, the best brands to go with are either Arcadia or MegaRay. I know they are a little more expensive, but they will both last at least a year (I have had one running strong for almost two years, and it still is working to this day). Having said that, Id recommend going with a metal halide over an MVB anyday...

Tags
heat, lighting, mvb, uvb/uva