border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-15, 11:21 AM   #1
Machala2012

Question New to the site, need help!

Hi i recently decided to finally get a snake, i had wanted one since i was a kid, after doing a lot of research i decided on a Ball python, due to their docile demeanor and being recommended as a good beginner snake. . I purchased her offline and she is about a1 1/2 Ft long right now ive had for about 3 weeks, and she is mean, like not just if im near her head or anything but as soon as i approach the enclosure, and i have yet to see her ball up like they are known for, she just goes aggressive immediately. The Humidity is kept at 60% and the heat on the cool side is 83 and the hot side is 91 degrees. I use Cypress mulch as the substrate she has 2 hides one smaller that she can barley fit into which is supposed to be preferred?) and a larger one on the opposite side with the water bowl and basking rock in between. I have kids and they want to handle her but i cant let them at this point, ive been tempted to re-home her and start with something smaller like a corn or milk snake, but i dont want to put her in a cycle or re-homing, she doesn't deserve that. Is there anything i can try to calm her down so i can at least tempt to handle her, ive tried using a snake hook got her into my hand and made sure she felt supported but she just tried to whip around on me. She also hasn't ate since i got her, ive offered the mouse to her in her feeding tank and nothing. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-28-15, 01:54 PM   #2
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: New to the site, need help!

Old 04-28-15, 01:56 PM   #3
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Don't feed in a separate enclosure, let her eat in her tank. feeding out of their enclosure adds extra stress and could be why she's not eating. Cover three sides of the enclosure as well with towels or black paper, it will add extra security for her. What size is her enclosure? It may be too big. Do not handle her until she's started eating for you.
Old 04-28-15, 03:34 PM   #4
Rattlehead

I would use another heat source. is the basking rock controlled by a termostat?

Hopefully the snake will relax after some days, as they need to adapt to their new enclosure
Old 04-28-15, 03:41 PM   #5
reptiledude987

With a young BP if it does tag you, you wont be any worse for wear. Sometimes with the babies it takes a bit of time for them to get used to being handled and realize the gigantic heat siganture coming towards them isnt a threat. Be consistant and give it time I'm sure it will come around.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-28-15, 06:54 PM   #6
Machala2012

Thanks for the responses! The basking rock isnt an electric rock I just put it directly under the heat lamp with the thermostat and hydrometer.Near the bottom for accurate readings
Old 04-28-15, 07:11 PM   #7
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

When they're tiny things are always trying to eat them. Believe me the snake will calm down with age and size.

Tags
aggression, ball python, beginner