border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-15, 08:27 PM   #1
Brylee1233

Heating a China Cabinet?

I am going to try to convert a china cabinet to a BRB enclosure. I was thinking, how do I heat it? I talked to some guys at an expo and they said to put the heat mat on the side of the enclosure but I just realized BRB's need heat from their underside (right?)... So would putting it on the side be okay, and if not what do you suggest?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-19-15, 08:45 PM   #2
jjhill001

Re: Heating a China Cabinet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylee1233 View Post
I am going to try to convert a china cabinet to a BRB enclosure. I was thinking, how do I heat it? I talked to some guys at an expo and they said to put the heat mat on the side of the enclosure but I just realized BRB's need heat from their underside (right?)... So would putting it on the side be okay, and if not what do you suggest?
Brazilian Rainbow Boas need lots of humidity. Your first step is going to be sealing the wood with something that isn't toxic so that the humidity doesn't cause the wood to rot.

The underbelly heat thing is not a requirement it's just the easiest way to do heat in most set ups. It would be easier with a picture of the cabinet to help us better recommend a course of action. You may have several options available to you. If the wood is too thick a heat pad may not be the best method after all and you may need to consider other options.
Old 01-19-15, 08:55 PM   #3
Brylee1233

Re: Heating a China Cabinet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Brazilian Rainbow Boas need lots of humidity. Your first step is going to be sealing the wood with something that isn't toxic so that the humidity doesn't cause the wood to rot.

The underbelly heat thing is not a requirement it's just the easiest way to do heat in most set ups. It would be easier with a picture of the cabinet to help us better recommend a course of action. You may have several options available to you. If the wood is too thick a heat pad may not be the best method after all and you may need to consider other options.
Okay... I understand I need to seal it... What would you recommend? using something like plexi glass fitted to the cage then sealed with the sealant that comes out of a tube (sorry I don't know names to these...) or the sealer you paint on?

Also yes. I will post a picture of the cabinet once I have it in my possession

I also can tell you right now, that it has a thin wood backing to it... Should I replace it or do I not have to?
Closed Thread

Tags
china cabinet, heating