border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-14, 09:08 AM   #1
Deva

Brichardi cichlids

Sharing a couple pictures of my Brichardis. I have had them since 2003 and I believe the larger ones (3 of them) are now probably 12 or 13 years old, based on the size when I got them and my observations on how slowly they grow. As they get older, the colors on the face get brighter, the filaments on the tail get longer, and the lower jaws kind of bulge out.

These are very tough fish. Once I made the mistake of putting some African cichlids in with them and the Africans killed each other and the Brichardis just hid in the rocks while all the carnage was going on.

They dig out little nests under rocks. Its fun to watch them move large quantities of sand and gravel. They have a few babies growing up in the tank.

0.0.1 Thayeri Kingsnake, 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander, 5 fire bellied toads, 2 Kweichow Newts, 0.0.1 Red Salamander, 2 fire salamanders, 0.0.1 Loveridge's limbless skink, 1.0 crested gecko,0.0.1 Chahoua Gecko, 3 Pictus Geckos, 1 Velvet Banded gecko, 1.0 dwarf yellow headed gecko, 0.1 cat.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-30-14, 10:19 AM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Brichardi cichlids

Not much of a fish person, but they looks very nice! love the tails
Old 03-30-14, 10:28 AM   #3
Jim Smith

Beautiful fish. I love the subtle colors with the neon tipped fins.
Old 03-30-14, 11:00 AM   #4
Deva

Thank you Tsubaki and Jim. Like some other fish, such as cherry barbs, you will not see anything but a really pale version of these fish for sale in pet stores-if you can find them at all. They achieve their best color after at least 8 years of age. The orange spots on near the tail are not even visible when they are young.
0.0.1 Thayeri Kingsnake, 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander, 5 fire bellied toads, 2 Kweichow Newts, 0.0.1 Red Salamander, 2 fire salamanders, 0.0.1 Loveridge's limbless skink, 1.0 crested gecko,0.0.1 Chahoua Gecko, 3 Pictus Geckos, 1 Velvet Banded gecko, 1.0 dwarf yellow headed gecko, 0.1 cat.
Closed Thread