Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-14, 03:59 PM   #16
drumcrush

Re: Garter Hasn't Shed Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
It depends on what you feed them. The care sheets I read agree pretty close to this:

6-8 days for live fish
3-4 days for fish filet w/ supplements unless on a mixed diet
every other day for earthworms w/ supplements unless on a mixed diet
1 week for rodents

He is of a pretty good weight and he's grown visibly.
^^^^^ perfect
Old 01-17-14, 07:11 PM   #17
bigsnakegirl785

Good news! As long as he isn't playing tricks on me again, I think he's finally in shed! I picked him up and he was so soft I could barely hold onto him. I brought him into some better lighting, and his eyes have a blueish tinge to them like he's in the middle of shed! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-17-14, 07:15 PM   #18
drumcrush

Quote:
Good news! As long as he isn't playing tricks on me again, I think he's finally in shed! I picked him up and he was so soft I could barely hold onto him. I brought him into some better lighting, and his eyes have a blueish tinge to them like he's in the middle of shed! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Yep, must be in shed then it was hard for me to tell when mine was first going into shed, couldn't see any blue but now I see tints of blue. Good luck!
Old 01-17-14, 07:19 PM   #19
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcrush View Post
Yep, must be in shed then it was hard for me to tell when mine was first going into shed, couldn't see any blue but now I see tints of blue. Good luck!
I've gotten good at seeing the blue tinge. lol Cloud never gets blue eyes, at least not like Bud. His pupils stay clearly visible, even in the deepest part of shed. His belly also usually doesn't go pink, so I look for the bluish tinge at the very edge of his belly.
Old 01-18-14, 10:57 AM   #20
drumcrush

Quote:
I've gotten good at seeing the blue tinge. lol Cloud never gets blue eyes, at least not like Bud. His pupils stay clearly visible, even in the deepest part of shed. His belly also usually doesn't go pink, so I look for the bluish tinge at the very edge of his belly.
I've had my king shed without going blue once, I thought it was pretty strange lol
Login to remove ads
Old 01-18-14, 11:19 AM   #21
bigsnakegirl785

Well, the shed is confirmed! He is even more blue than he was yesterday, and there's no mistaking it now! My mom couldn't see it, though. lol

In his tank

Full body

It was hard to focus on his eyes, but I got a few good photos

Old 01-18-14, 11:46 AM   #22
drumcrush

Oh yeah, def. in shed!
Old 01-20-14, 06:20 PM   #23
bigsnakegirl785

Well, this was the shortest amount of time between going blue to shedding out of all my snakes. He just shed today. I caught him right at the beginning around 3pm or so, when I saw he'd barricaded his hide entrance with bedding. He popped his head out, and had his shed sticking up. lol

It was interesting getting a shed with no pigmentation, but cool at the same time because where the bedding isn't sticking to it it's clear as cellophane.

I also took advantage of the snake after-shed hunger and tried out some mouse pinky parts. I cut the legs off a pinky at the shoulders and hips and dipped them in fish water. He took the first one gently, and just about ripped the second piece out of my tweezers. He didn't want anything to do with the third one, though. He fear-struck it and tried to wriggle out of my fingers. I would have tried the mouse head, but....It was around 3x bigger around than he was and he would never have gotten it down. I will get him one guppy tomorrow rather than two like I normally would, since the two legs by themselves won't be enough. There's no guarantee he'll take it later, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 01-20-14, 06:59 PM   #24
StudentoReptile

That was weird, because my water snake didn't shed for like, 5 months. And he ate and grew like a weed.
Old 01-21-14, 11:33 AM   #25
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentoReptile View Post
That was weird, because my water snake didn't shed for like, 5 months. And he ate and grew like a weed.
I guess it varies by species. I was always under the assumption baby garters shed every month. Cloud shed just about every month while he was growing with some going longer than others, and now he's down to about every 2-3 months. He's not a garter, though. haha I can post in here again next time Draco sheds to see how long he'll take next time.
Old 01-21-14, 11:49 AM   #26
drumcrush

Really Nice, good to hear he shed alright
Old 01-22-14, 03:23 PM   #27
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcrush View Post
Really Nice, good to hear he shed alright
Goods news is it looks like he's finally taking mouse parts! I couldn't go out and get a guppy yesterday because of weather, so I thawed out the other pinky I had and cut some pieces off. He didn't want to take them from my hand, but I scented them and left them in his enclosure on a piece of styrofoam. A few minutes later they were gone. That should do him for awhile because he has a slight bulge now, and I'll give him some more pieces sometime next week.

You should have seen him while I was thawing out the pinky. lol He was going berserk, doing laps around his tank and looking around. He settled down once he ate and I put the rest away.
Old 01-23-14, 09:58 AM   #28
drumcrush

Quote:
Goods news is it looks like he's finally taking mouse parts! I couldn't go out and get a guppy yesterday because of weather, so I thawed out the other pinky I had and cut some pieces off. He didn't want to take them from my hand, but I scented them and left them in his enclosure on a piece of styrofoam. A few minutes later they were gone. That should do him for awhile because he has a slight bulge now, and I'll give him some more pieces sometime next week.

You should have seen him while I was thawing out the pinky. lol He was going berserk, doing laps around his tank and looking around. He settled down once he ate and I put the rest away.
That's awesome! He should start growing faster now if he stays on the pinkies
Closed Thread