border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-13, 04:56 AM   #1
Corni-snake

Unhappy Vitamin supplements advice?

Corn snake Vet- I made an emergency appointment with the vet, and according to him, because my snake has been struggling to eat (she has always been a fussy eater compared to my other corns I have never known this?),

What I thought was a mouse, is actually (he thinks is eggs), now ive been given calcium to syringe 0.3 ml twice a day, tomorrow and next three days she'll be receiving a injection called oxitoxine (please bare with my spelling I have mild/bad dyslexia), to help her ovary system have contractions to push this out .

When talking to the vet, he explain to me because she is an "Albino" that she will lack the Vitamin D, which would normal be given through UV light, but this is dangerous to these type of snakes as this can cause blindness.

But what stresses me out was that I rehomed this snake and another from a home, that kept them together in a 5 ft Fish tank >.>, with no heat mat, and the other female is HUGE compared to this little lady(same age but completely different length), I got told these snakes were 5 years old and the vet looked puzzled. _._

Had eggs on 14/8 definitely infertile, Regurgitated a mouse, already offering smaller feeds (due to not accepting Large Mouse/Weiner Rats), Warm baths, I refuse to massage the area as I don't want to rupture the eggs inside...

TO THE POINT; Is there any thing I can give to my corn snake to help prevent this in the future, I'm lucky that I've managed to save money up for instances like this, if occurred but discussion with the vet made me think if she is a fussy eater and females are like chicken o.o? Vet wasn't very specific, and only kept relating them to bearded dragons powder stuff :S, and explained its harder to figure out a dose? What is available? If I can help not have this happen again, that is my goal for my stress and the snakes stress even though I must say she is handling very well, and doesn't seem agitated as I have seen her before (due to not being handled by previous owners, so would except a bite if im trying to give her calcium through her mouth _._)

Theres never info about what type of reptile; Exo Terra Calcium Water Conditioner Calcimize 100ML

Last edited by Corni-snake; 09-03-13 at 05:08 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 09-03-13, 05:10 AM   #2
Starbuck

Re: Vitamin supplements advice?

I know someone who had a consistently abnormally reproducing pine snake, which needed surgery twice for dystocia (egg binding), and she ended up just removing the ovaries and oviduct at that time (spaying the snake).
While surgery wouldnt be my first choice, if it gets to that point you may wish to consider it as it will solve your problem for the future.

I would also reconsider a light massage of her lower third; it will definitely help and you would have to put quite a bit of pressure to rupture the eggs; remember that they have to squeeze through the tight cloaca in the first place, and their shell is not hard and fragile like a chickens (no sharp fragments to worry about either).
light massages will help to loosen any oviduct tissue that may be becoming stuck to the egg shell, and will help out with the contractions induced by the drug.
Best of luck, keep us updated.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 09-03-13, 05:59 AM   #3
Corni-snake

Starbuck;
Thanks for that info dude, I didn't even know you could "spray" the snake, you'd think that would be something the vet would've offered when I asked how to prevent this in the future. Then again like you said perhaps that even a last resort in their eyes?

Is it a good idea to keep offering small food even if she gets injections? tomorrow :S
Old 09-06-13, 10:10 AM   #4
Corni-snake

Update:
today was last and third of the injections, and still got the calcium to give her twice a day; yesterday the egg looked liked it moved down, today it had moved back up into her body! Really frustrating:
Vet said give her the weekend and on Monday if there is no movement will have to look at two other opinions ..
a.) An operation; to remove it but this may leave internal damage,
b.) Try and "Milk" it out again, this can rupture the egg and again may lead to internal damage.

really am upset about this, and I don't want to loose her. But what's to stop this from happening again ? would really appreciate your guys experience and if which treatment was most effective for you!!
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, corn-snake, vitamins