border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-13, 10:59 PM   #1
rachmangler

Cheap snake bedding in the bay area? & What is everyone on here using for bedding?

So, i've been buying cypress mulch and using it for my tegu and python. I mix jungle mix with my tegus for moisture...

Buuut, every where I go for this it's ridiculously expensive when it's marketed for pets. Since my tegus enclosure is huge and so is my snakes I need a lot of it. Spending 25 dollars for the largest bag from the east bay vivarium is ridiculous and i'd need at last 5 at a time. I can't find it at home depot and the lowe's is no where near where I live. Called a few garden centers here and can't seem to get it.

I'm also weary of using untreated wood from gardening centers but have heard of other people using it and it being fine.

Have any of you used it from a garden center? Did you have problems with mites? Where did you buy it from and was it cheap?

What is everyone using besides aspen and cypress mulch?

Does anyone use coco husk for their snake?

I want a nice looking bedding, no newspaper or paper towels.

If all you guys could let me know what you're using it would help!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-22-13, 11:35 PM   #2
Mikoh4792

Re: Cheap snake bedding in the bay area? & What is everyone on here using for beddin

I use cocohusk. Not the finely ground up coconut bedding like eco-earth, but something like kritter's crumble. Holds humidity great.

I don't think you should worry too much about picking it up from a gardening center as long as it's not treated or contains any toxins. I don't think mites come from places like gardening centers, they come from other snakes.

Comes in two grains: fine and coarse

Old 08-23-13, 04:57 AM   #3
Starbuck

Re: Cheap snake bedding in the bay area? & What is everyone on here using for beddin

next round of substrate purchasing, im going to be purchasing 100% cypress mulch from lowes. it is under 4$/2 cu. ft.
previous to that i had 5 cubic feet of aspen shavings from TSC for 5$. it was marketed for rabbits etc, but was 100% aspen. Slightly more coarse than what i would have liked, but couldnt beat the price.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 08-23-13, 06:30 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmangler View Post
So, i've been buying cypress mulch and using it for my tegu and python. I mix jungle mix with my tegus for moisture...

Buuut, every where I go for this it's ridiculously expensive when it's marketed for pets. Since my tegus enclosure is huge and so is my snakes I need a lot of it. Spending 25 dollars for the largest bag from the east bay vivarium is ridiculous and i'd need at last 5 at a time. I can't find it at home depot and the lowe's is no where near where I live. Called a few garden centers here and can't seem to get it.

I'm also weary of using untreated wood from gardening centers but have heard of other people using it and it being fine.

Have any of you used it from a garden center? Did you have problems with mites? Where did you buy it from and was it cheap?

What is everyone using besides aspen and cypress mulch?

Does anyone use coco husk for their snake?

I want a nice looking bedding, no newspaper or paper towels.

If all you guys could let me know what you're using it would help!
Snake mites shouldn't turn up in any kind of substrate. Wood mites may dwell in it though which are harmless to the snake.
Old 08-23-13, 07:29 AM   #5
Lickeypie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
next round of substrate purchasing, im going to be purchasing 100% cypress mulch from lowes. it is under 4$/2 cu. ft.

Lucky you, the lowes in my area doesn't carry cypress for some strange reason!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-23-13, 07:39 AM   #6
infernalis

so cheap its free......

Bio Active Soil

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 08-23-13, 08:59 PM   #7
rachmangler

Eh, didn't feel like driving to Lowes and just got the cypress mulch from a pet store. Good to know about the coconut husk, though
Closed Thread

Tags
aspen, bedding, coco husk, cypress mulch