border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-12, 03:03 AM   #1
Poisonpuss

Need help with humidity/temp/new tank. Shed and merchandise purchasing questions too.

Hi all. I last posted a month ago with some questions about my new RTB. He was in a 10 gallon then. Now that I got him a 55 gallon tank, I'm having some problems keeping the humidity and temperature levels in the correct zones. Currently, the humidity is hovering around 35% during the day with the 100 watt basking bulb on (that dries it out a lot) and between 50% and 60% at night. I'll spray it with warm water during the day with the basking light on to get it around 60% but it dries below 50% within an hour. The temperatures in the cage seem to be pretty good. The thermometer says it around 92°F in the basking light on the left side of the tank. The thermometer is half way up the tank (not a digital one, so not as accurate) The basking light is on a timer that turns on at 9 AM and turns off at 7:30 PM. The right side of the tank is around 85 F underneath the 100 watt CHE and 75 watt night-glo bulb. That thermometer is 1/3 up the tank, a little lower. It is a tape thermometer so I think that is inaccurate too. As you can see in the pictures, I have the large water tray directly underneath the basking light to increase the amount of humidity, but it doesn't seem to work so great. He has 2 hides at both end, and you can see the temps are around 80°F. I've only seen him go to the small wood hide on the cooler right side. I think I need a humidistat, thermostat, and a mister. Is there one that has all 3 options and are there any that you guys/gals can recommend? Also on a side note, he hasn't fully shed from his last shed, still a little bit left on his tail. That was two weeks ago. I've given him some baths in 80 degree water, but he doesn't seem to like to sit in it;always looking for a way to get out. It is just deep enough to get 3/4 way up his body. I haven't seen him soak in his water dish yet. My friend who owned a RTB says since it's his 2nd or 3rd shed (he was born in middle of may) and he's in a new environment, so not having the perfect shed is expected. I will be taken him to a vet in Seattle when I can get a stool sample, hopefully within the next month, to get his yearly check-up. If I missed anything or if you have any questions, please ask. If you guys need a video, or need a better explanation, I will gladly provide one. I hope I'm not being too worried, I just want the best for my snake. More pictures will come when they want to upload from my phone...

The basking has been swapped with the CHE since this photo was taken to the left side.

Temp of his right side hide(cooler side) measured from the inside of the hide.

Here he in on the branch under the CHE. You can see on the underside of his tail there's some unshed skin.

Last edited by Poisonpuss; 08-08-12 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: adding pictures
Login to remove ads
Old 08-08-12, 06:28 AM   #2
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Re: Need help with humidity/temp/new tank. Shed and merchandise purchasing questions

You should Cover the top of the tank with a Damp towel. Loose the heat lamps and get an under the tank heater,All heat sources have to be on a thermostat.
It would also be good to wrap 3 sides of the tank with something ( old towel ) anything to help retain heat and allow the snake to feel more secure. If you do this you will have a much better chance of properly maintaining your snake.
As for the stuck shed dampen a pillow case and then place him in it. After a bit he should work off all the stuck shed himself.
Old 08-08-12, 06:39 AM   #3
Jay
Bcc fanatic

Re: Need help with humidity/temp/new tank. Shed and merchandise purchasing questions

That is a Colombian bci not red tail.

Not since you can't meet the minimal living conditions for that boa, you need to loose the fish tank

Although it is possible depending on your relative humidity and heat source.
(Kat covered everything)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Old 08-08-12, 07:41 AM   #4
Toronto1977

What Kat and Jay said - additionally, you could/should provide him with a moist hide when he is in the blue, that way he can decide for himself whether he needs more humidity or not. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, and could just be a large tupperware cut open for an entry-way and filled with something like dampened sphagnum moss. Hope that helps and keep up posted
Old 08-08-12, 10:25 AM   #5
lumpbump

Get a bigger water dish and put it in the tank under the CHE. Also you could use larger water bowls and find a creative way to use water bowls to create hiding space. I use two large dish washing bins placed diagonally in my cages corner. The idea is to use the bin as a water bowl and the space between the corner of the cage as a hide. Just leave enough space for your boa to squeeze in and he will feel real snug between the side of the cage and the water tub, but you probably want to cover three sides of your cage with something to give the impression of cover. I use forest background taped to the outside three sides and just leave one side open for viewing.
Old 08-08-12, 01:47 PM   #6
Poisonpuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonpuss View Post
Hi all. I last posted a month ago with some questions about my new RTB. He was in a 10 gallon then. Now that I got him a 55 gallon tank, I'm having some problems keeping the humidity and temperature levels in the correct zones. Currently, the humidity is hovering around 35% during the day with the 100 watt basking bulb on (that dries it out a lot) and between 50% and 60% at night. I'll spray it with warm water during the day with the basking light on to get it around 60% but it dries below 50% within an hour. The temperatures in the cage seem to be pretty good. The thermometer says it around 92°F in the basking light on the left side of the tank. The thermometer is half way up the tank (not a digital one, so not as accurate) The basking light is on a timer that turns on at 9 AM and turns off at 7:30 PM. The right side of the tank is around 85 F underneath the 100 watt CHE and 75 watt night-glo bulb. That thermometer is 1/3 up the tank, a little lower. It is a tape thermometer so I think that is inaccurate too. As you can see in the pictures, I have the large water tray directly underneath the basking light to increase the amount of humidity, but it doesn't seem to work so great. He has 2 hides at both end, and you can see the temps are around 80°F. I've only seen him go to the small wood hide on the cooler right side. I think I need a humidistat, thermostat, and a mister. Is there one that has all 3 options and are there any that you guys/gals can recommend? Also on a side note, he hasn't fully shed from his last shed, still a little bit left on his tail. That was two weeks ago. I've given him some baths in 80 degree water, but he doesn't seem to like to sit in it;always looking for a way to get out. It is just deep enough to get 3/4 way up his body. I haven't seen him soak in his water dish yet. My friend who owned a RTB says since it's his 2nd or 3rd shed (he was born in middle of may) and he's in a new environment, so not having the perfect shed is expected. I will be taken him to a vet in Seattle when I can get a stool sample, hopefully within the next month, to get his yearly check-up. If I missed anything or if you have any questions, please ask. If you guys need a video, or need a better explanation, I will gladly provide one. I hope I'm not being too worried, I just want the best for my snake. More pictures will come when they want to upload from my phone...

The basking has been swapped with the CHE since this photo was taken to the left side.

Temp of his right side hide(cooler side) measured from the inside of the hide.

Here he in on the branch under the CHE. You can see on the underside of his tail there's some unshed skin.

Old 08-08-12, 02:03 PM   #7
millertime89
Forum Moderator

What I did to help with humidity was cover the screen in aluminum foil and cut out holes just big enough for the lamp cover to sit on. I eventually switched over to a UTH and just completely covered the top, which you need to find a better way to secure BTW.
Old 08-08-12, 02:11 PM   #8
Slcburm
Banned

I was amazed at how well the humidity held once I switched to a custom built cage and a heat panel. CHE's tend to suck moisture right up and boom. Low humidity
Old 08-08-12, 02:34 PM   #9
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Yup, I've got a pair of boaphiles that I need to check out the wiring on the RHPs on.
Old 08-08-12, 02:58 PM   #10
Poisonpuss

I just purchased
MUCH BETTER, digital hygrometer/thermometer combo R'Zilla 11577 Terrarium Hygrometer Digital Thermometer: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies
Thermostat
Amazon.com: Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Remote Sensor Thermostat: Pet Supplies
Large under tank heater
Zoo Med ReptiThermŽ Under Tank Heater, Large: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

I wrapped the outside of the tank with a towel so it covers 3 full sides, and put a moist towel on top. 1 more question, you say lose the heat lamps, and get a under tank heater. I had no idea that was all I needed to heat a the tank properly. Thank you all again for the help.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-08-12, 03:03 PM   #11
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Only thing I don't like about that t-stat is it doesn't give you an actual readout of the temp its set to.
Old 08-08-12, 03:05 PM   #12
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Hope all that does the trick for you. In the future if you can get a viv for your snake instead of a tank it will make keeping the heat and humidity much easier.
Old 08-08-12, 03:37 PM   #13
Poisonpuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
Only thing I don't like about that t-stat is it doesn't give you an actual readout of the temp its set to.
I agree with you, but the other ones with dials got bad reviews, about breaking a few months in. I watched a couple review videos on the one I purchased and they said it only has a couple ranges, and once you get the temps you want, it stays there, and is reliable.
Old 08-08-12, 04:56 PM   #14
millertime89
Forum Moderator

If you fee like making your life easier...
Amazon.com: Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Closed Thread

Tags
humidity, rtb, shed, tank, temperature