border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-12, 01:55 PM   #1
leoguy62

Talking fish with snake?

Later this year i am planning on building a big 90 gallon or more for my brazilian rainbow boa i plan on makeing a pond in it so it can bath in and drink out of i was wondering if i set the pond up like an aquarium with filters and everything and put amazon fish in such as tetras would it be okay or still risky to the snake?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-13-12, 02:01 PM   #2
StudentoReptile

Re: fish with snake?

I wouldn't worry too much about the snake eating the fish, especially little tetras. Maybe a big cichlid, but do BRBs even eat fish?

My main concern would making sure the water portion was escape-proof and the snake could not get into and/or wrap around any of the filtration unit. As long as you cover those issues, I think it'll be a great set-up!
Old 07-13-12, 02:01 PM   #3
infernalis

the snake may very well eat the fish.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-13-12, 02:08 PM   #4
leoguy62

Im not worried about the snake eating the fish lol they are only $1 but im worried about any feces or somthing from the fish getting my brb sick and as far as i know no they dont eat fish
Old 07-13-12, 02:13 PM   #5
StudentoReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoguy62 View Post
Im not worried about the snake eating the fish lol they are only $1 but im worried about any feces or somthing from the fish getting my brb sick and as far as i know no they dont eat fish
That is mainly dependent on having really good filtration!

Whatever amount of this tank you are devoting to water (lets' say for example 20 gallons?), you need to have filtration for 2x that volume; so you would need a filter that is rated for 40 gallons.

If you're really worried about it, you can always have a small fish net handy and net out the snake poo when you find it.

There's nothing specific about snake feces that should harm fish. Its just a matter of making sure the biological and mechanical filtration can handle the "bioload" of the occupants (this includes the fish as well as any weekly deposits from your snake).
Old 07-13-12, 02:16 PM   #6
leoguy62

Alright so it all should be good if set up properly? Im not putting the snake in prob till months after the tank is set up if i do decide to do this
Old 07-13-12, 02:20 PM   #7
StudentoReptile

Just so I'm understanding this correctly...you are setting-up a 90-gallon tank, and somehow setting up a water area inside it that houses the fish?

IN other words, the 90-gal itself is not going to be the aquarium.
Old 07-13-12, 02:25 PM   #8
leoguy62

Probably more than 90 and im building it most likly so i can design it how i want but yeah i plan on putting a pond on one side, not taking up too much room though im thinking more like a 120 gal (48x24x24) rather than a 90 (48x18x24) thanks for replies
Old 07-13-12, 02:30 PM   #9
StudentoReptile

Gotcha. So something more or less like this: Paludarium Construction Photo Journal - The Planted Tank

...except maybe not quite as elaborate, and probably more land area than water, yes?
Old 07-13-12, 02:33 PM   #10
leoguy62

Yes very similar but much less water i was even thinking since im building it i could make it a normal tank but at one end itll like drop down into a 10 but that 10 will still be part of the same peice of glass i have time to plan though
Login to remove ads
Old 07-13-12, 03:39 PM   #11
marvelfreak
Captain America

On the fish you will need to do some research as some fish could be deadly if it ate them or even drinks their water. When i first got my Yellow anaconda i had thought about feeding it fish ever so often. In researching i found goldfish produce high amounts of ammonia which can make the water deadly if he didn't eat it right away.

Any fish you put in you would want to be native to Brazil just to be safe side i would think.
Old 07-13-12, 03:48 PM   #12
leoguy62

Yeah thats why i said tetras they are from that whole region, thanks for the help
Old 07-14-12, 06:03 AM   #13
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

If you make this out of Plexiglas or poly carbonate you should drill a hole in the side for your filter tubes and wires. You could then seal the hole with silicone or something similar.
Old 07-15-12, 11:19 PM   #14
leoguy62

yeah if i can do this i want to make fake rocks and backgrounds to hide wires and filters
Closed Thread

Tags
aquarium, fish, paludarium, pond, rainboa boa