border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > General Invertebrates Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-11, 05:56 PM   #1
jaymcglone

emperor scorpion housing?

i was given a 30x30x45 exoterra vivarium i was wondering if i would be able to keep an emperor scorpion in it? if not any ideas what would be happy for life in it? thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-20-11, 12:37 AM   #2
Reptile_Reptile
You can call me JR

Re: emperor scorpion housing?

how big is previously aforementioned emperor scorpion
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. -John Lennon
Old 01-20-11, 09:24 AM   #3
belovedboas

depends on the sizedefinetely...but I would think you will be fine....a baby emperor will not like too much open space....and eco earth is perfect for emperors cause they like to burrow!!

Greg
Old 01-20-11, 12:29 PM   #4
slingsnthings

as long as there are plenty of hides you should be fine. i have a 5 inch emperor in a 20gallon long tank, and i just have a few segments of cork bark laying on the ground that he burrows under. the only problem ive had with a larger tank is that i have to tong feed him, they are kinda clumsy when they hunt, and with all that space they might not be able to find the food on their own. ive watched mine try to catch a cricket for 20 minutes before i decided to help him
Old 01-21-11, 04:32 PM   #5
jaymcglone

i have a baby emperor scorp he is about 2-3cm and with the new setup he seems cool within a few weeks i will post pics if able thanks for the tips much appreciated! regarding what people have said and seeign as they grow to 20cm at max im sure he will be fine in his new inclosure untill i upgrade. btw his name is pinchy
thanks guys
j
Login to remove ads
Old 06-13-11, 11:18 PM   #6
Sissy

I a few questions regarding an Emperor Scorpion actually.
I posted in the new members forum, and I am currently awaiting moderation from what I have read.

I find myself very impatient, due to my lack of knowledge about Scorpions.
I would like to provide for her properly, therefore I am concerned about specifics.
For example: Based on experience, what is the best material for retaining humidity within the enclosure?
I have so many questions.

I have been doing some fact checking on-line, and believe I have successfully identified my new baby as a juvenile female.
(I say juvenile because she is still under 4", and based on what I have read, she could grow to be 4-8")

We got her, and my husband went right out, spoke with the clerk who advised him on initial set up for her, and her enclosure.
Here's where the problem is...some of the info given to my husband, does not coincide with most of what I've read.

I am happy to report that she did eat this evening.
Being that I do not have 'tongs', I constructed a make shift device by splitting a popsicle stick, where I could grasp the cricket.

After only two attempts, she plucked it from the stick with ease. She ate just about half, and paused so I covered her tank, and let her be.
I went back thirty minutes later, and she was finished her meal.

I hope I get through moderation soon. I have so many more questions.
Old 06-14-11, 02:51 PM   #7
Sissy

Well, I have her basic enclosure put together.
To the bottom right of the pic I put together a make-shift cave for her.
To the bottom left, she has a tunnel of bark, which seems to be her preference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1730.jpg (22.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1717.jpg (21.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-14-11, 07:30 PM   #8
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I think that should be about a 10-gallon tank. Yes that should be adequate for an emperor scorpion. Just give it a nice thick layer of bedding and several hides.
Old 06-14-11, 08:25 PM   #9
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
I think that should be about a 10-gallon tank. Yes that should be adequate for an emperor scorpion. Just give it a nice thick layer of bedding and several hides.
^^^^^^
Also make sure to put the hides on a thick layer of substrate so they can burrow under the hides
Old 06-15-11, 08:01 PM   #10
Sissy

Thanks. Here are pix from the change that I made to her enclosure. Yes, I made it pretty deep. By the pic, is it sufficient? I am going to add some moss Friday when I get paid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1821.jpg (22.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1827.jpg (23.7 KB, 27 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-16-11, 07:39 AM   #11
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

That looks pretty good. You can add clumps of moss, especially in the corners, to help keep the humidity up. They like to move the moss around and it really adds some color as well as being functional for the humidity. They are forest scorpions after all, so they like stuff that would be found on a forest floor. Go to your local pet store and get frog moss.

Tags
30x30x45, emperor scorpion, housing, vivarium