border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-09, 12:46 AM   #16
Chu'Wuti

Re: Can one get dewormers and other common snake meds without going to the vet every

Joel, I hope you'll reconsider. I for one have been very glad that someone who is very experienced with hots has been so informative on both the hots and the venomoids--I've hoped that your great experience & credibility will help certain people understand what we've tried to tell them for months.

You certainly are not the only person to
Quote:
let my temper get away with my on the subject of Venomoids
, so please don't feel concerned that you might have offended anyone--far from it for most of us!!

More than that, I've been glad that another person with good experience had joined to help newbies with their concerns, or to help more experienced people like Kimberly here with new concerns. Often it has been the same three-five people, and we all have other commitments in our lives and can't get to a new post expressing concerns as fast as we'd like. Having more experienced & knowledgeable people helps cut the response time and improve our overall ability to provide quality information when someone has a problem.

Re your blood pressure--do go watch your snakes awhile--should be like watching fish for blood pressure, I'd think! I wish I could see your facility & animals sometime.

At least drop in every once in awhile, OK?
Old 08-16-09, 09:49 PM   #17
siz

Re: Can one get dewormers and other common snake meds without going to the vet every

Completely agree with Chu..I also let my temper go on the same thread but PASSION is a part of snake keeping and you are passionate about your venomous snakes, which I admire. It's always nice to see experienced keepers come on these forums, and especially nice to see someone specialized in venomous, as we have had a few questions gone unanswered due to lack of knowledge.
I'd like you to stay
Old 08-17-09, 07:57 AM   #18
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I'd like you to stay as well Joel; I was very impressed by your knowledge of venomous, and the fact that you are a venom extractor is pretty cool as well. Don't worry about losing your temper, many people do on touchy topics such as venomoids.
Old 08-17-09, 08:46 AM   #19
Joel La Rocque

Hello Folks:
My wife made a very interesting comment to me yesterday. " You know Joel, the reason I married you was strictly maternal? I knew that as long as I had you, I would have a baby to care for". Kind of put me in my place don't ya think?
I went to a forum on Venomoids (That I knew I should never have gone to) and I saw a picture that nearly drove me insane. I simply can not tolerate anyone causing harm to an animal, and this photo was about the worst case scenario I had ever seen. I have no doubt that I would have beaten someone to death, had I walked in on something like that. It was my fault for going there and I won't be that stupid again.
Some well meaning fellow said that I was proud of my tags! If the English language has not changed I believe I said "to my "Discredit" I believe Webster defines that word as being ashamed of the record. But for the record I will say the I have received one (1) legitimate bite (accidental) and 56 illegitimate bites (Bites I could have avoided). I am defining the bigger words so we can get by this "What did he mean" session and get on with life. I am 59 years of age, I will be 60 on March 29th 2010 at 6:40 in the AM. I started playing with snakes at the age of nine (9) in upstate New York. In that part of the world, most people are part snake (the good part). I started studying them at the age of seventeen (17) and started working with venomous snakes at the age of nineteen (19). My first bite was the only legitimate bite I had ever received and that was in July of 1972. A cottonmouth tagged me on the right side of my Butt, one fang got my wallet the other got me. The other 56 bites could have been avoided had I changed my desire to study snakes and went into selling Ladies hand bags. Some husband would have shot me so I feel that working with snakes was the better and safer choice for me.
Each of the 56 were due to my becomming "complacent" a very bad work when dealing with animals of any kind.
I go through life on my terms not the terms dictated by others, I fail far more then most but I enjoy the try. Most people think I am an idiot. They come here to watch the fool play with animals they have nightmares about and to them I am not quite normal! I would not trade one minute of my time with these animals for all they have in the Bank. I have succeeded in doing something that few humans ever dreamt of doing. I can walk less then fifteen feet to my left and pick up a venomous snake, drape it around my neck and finish writing this letter with out incident. All of my animals have names, not numbers, they know me and respect me as a person who would do them no harm. Do you know what it feels like to have a seven foot plus Egyptian cobra sit in your lap while you watch TV and accept you as an equal? It took my well over thirty years to figure out what makes them tick and another three years at imitate them to the point of being accepted. I threw my snake sticks away and I only use my hands and since that time I have not received one bite.
Oh I just remembered the other idiots name, Bill Hasst, a real moron logging in with 157 bites, 100 more then me. "Bill if you read this, I am being my usual sarcastic self!" I would hardly call Bill Hasst an amateur, next to God, he is in command when it comes to venomous snakes.

Anyway, I am sorry for loosing my temper and acting like a $%#*&. Please excuse my childish behavior and I will try an do better in the future. Now that I have apologised, there might be a chance of getting something to eat around here. Be safe friends
Joel
Old 08-17-09, 10:27 PM   #20
jparker1167

Send a message via AIM to jparker1167

you really believe the snakes think of you as an equal? free handling makes all keepers look bad. i would not consider bill hasst an idiot his bites are from handling and milking 100s of venomous snakes. i dont believe i have ever heard him say he would put a cobra around his neck or have one sit in his lap cause they belived he was an equal.

joel when i posted and said it looked like you where proud of the bites you had not said to your discredit you said i have 57 bites under my belt in 40 years. if you would have said to my discredit i would not have replied with what i said.

"But for the record I will say the I have received one (1) legitimate bite (accidental) and 56 illegitimate bites (Bites I could have avoided)"

any bite you take is a legitimate bite, if you make a mistake that could be avoided that is still a bite. if you get bit while hiking i would not count that. but if your bit when you handling your hots it still counts. my friend was bit through an air hole in a deli cup at a reptile show. he counts that as a bite he shouldnt have had. even though it is not a high chance of the snake getting a fang through the little air holes.

Last edited by jparker1167; 08-17-09 at 10:35 PM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
antibiotics, deworming, home remedies, vet