border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-04, 10:27 PM   #1
sweet

why albinos?

why does eveyone seem to like albinos? I know they may seem cool to look at but do you know most are pretty much blind? this holds true for humans, if snakes are different let me know.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-15-04, 10:40 PM   #2
sapphire_moon

Send a message via MSN to sapphire_moon Send a message via Yahoo to sapphire_moon
well if all things that are albino are blind, then albino rats and mice would pretty much be screwed. I don't think that it is true for snakes, and my partner knew some people aflicted with albinoisim (Sp?grammer? lol) and blind they weren't.

Mischief~ Hamster
Old 06-15-04, 10:48 PM   #3
sweet

maybe I should have said visually impared instead of blind. almost all albino humans have moderate to severe visual problems and im assuming other animals are too. bringing out recessive traits cant be a good thing IMO.
Old 06-16-04, 12:14 AM   #4
BoAddict

Send a message via MSN to BoAddict
no they are not visualy impaired either, they are more sensitive to light is all
Old 06-16-04, 12:44 AM   #5
Jeff_Favelle

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
Weird that being blind they can strike a rodent from 1/2 a cage away! Must be cool to have "The Force" like that.
Old 06-16-04, 12:46 AM   #6
Jeff_Favelle

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
An albino human is not an albino snake. Not even close. Making connections like that is pretty much useless.
Old 06-16-04, 12:49 AM   #7
HetForHuman

Send a message via MSN to HetForHuman Send a message via Yahoo to HetForHuman
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
Weird that being blind they can strike a rodent from 1/2 a cage away! Must be cool to have "The Force" like that.

HEHEHE i agree Jeff.

My albino is one hell of a good striker, and a little fiesty, just the way i like them
[10:12pm]«@ [Matt]» he's all up in there like swimwear.
Old 06-16-04, 11:01 AM   #8
latazyo

albino boas look absolutely stunning
Old 06-16-04, 11:22 AM   #9
sweet

maybe they arent "true" albinos, maybe just light colored variations. albinos lack all pigment
Old 06-16-04, 11:28 AM   #10
Jeff_Favelle

Quote:
albinos lack all pigment
LOL....ummmm.......NOOOO! Albinos lack BLACK pigment. Amelanistic. The absence of melanin. The absence of black pigmentation.

Close, but no cigar.
Old 06-16-04, 11:43 AM   #11
BoAddict

Send a message via MSN to BoAddict
i think this is a troll thread now after reading this guy
Old 06-16-04, 11:50 AM   #12
sweet

check this out, interesting
http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/albinos.html
Old 06-16-04, 11:59 AM   #13
lostwithin

Send a message via MSN to lostwithin
You cannot compare animal species when it comes to things like albino genes. The effect would vary greatly on how it affects eyesight depending on the eye structure of the animal. And again depending on if the animal is nocturnal or diurnal the eye structure and pigments present would be different. It would make sense that animals of any sort who are albino may be more sensitive too light but too my understanding pythons and boas have evolved to rely greatly on other senses over the use of sight.

Hmm an interesting question just popped into my head; maybe somebody with more knowledge on the matter can answer it for me. It seems too be a common and logical assumption that due too the lack of melanin in an albino species that the eye site would become hypersensitive too light. And is also a proven fact that nocturnal animals have evolved an eye structure that fit their lifestyle and is more sensitive too light, and less too colors. Now in a nocturnal species would the albinos Hypersensitivity not be an advantage too have in a low light environment??

Quote:
bringing out recessive traits cant be a good thing IMO
Hmmm, many traits are recessive in some traits albino is just one of MANY, and many recessive traits are very advantageous.

Devon
Old 06-16-04, 12:06 PM   #14
NewLineReptile

Send a message via MSN to NewLineReptile
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
LOL....ummmm.......NOOOO! Albinos lack BLACK pigment. Amelanistic. The absence of melanin. The absence of black pigmentation.

Close, but no cigar.
Your right on the money there jeff

As for the question ask (why does every one seem to like albino boas...

Well for me the Albino Boa's do nothing for me. I would sooner take a Normal Columbian over a Albino. I just like the assorted colours in a normal instead of an albino. But that is just me

Brandon
newlinereptile@sympatico.ca
Old 06-16-04, 12:14 PM   #15
python_diva_06

Send a message via AIM to python_diva_06 Send a message via Yahoo to python_diva_06
i don't know it you relize it but more then likely almost every person on this site has an albino reptile of some sort and i'd bet they're reptiles don't have health problems...i know mine don't! and reptiles aren't people we don't have the same genes which in turn means we don't have the same genetic problems with albinoisim...think about it...and bringing out resisive traits is not always a bad thing...i mean humans have resisve trait come out constantly...mid-diget hair on fingers, ear-lobes that don't dangle below the point of contact to the side of the head...the list goes on forever...what's the diffrence between that and albinoisim in snakes...

ssssoon to come...albino burmese python (2 days and counting)

Last edited by python_diva_06; 06-16-04 at 12:21 PM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread