border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-19, 12:27 PM   #1
sneksnek

Can tanks be too large?

Hello! I do not own a snake yet, as my parents are not too fond of the idea, but I would love to have a snake as my new son in the near future when I am more mature and have more time to dedicate to his or her care. I currently own only one reptile, my beautiful baby boy leopard gecko, but I am in love with ball pythons (sO original, I know). While researching ball python care, a common debate presents itself: can reptile enclosures be too large? I would really like to hear y’alls opinions on the matter because both sides have very valid arguments. I have raised mammals my whole life, such as guinea pigs, rabbits, and dogs, and with them the mindset is almost always the bigger the better in terms of living space. With a ball python however, is this the case? I would ideally like to house it in an enclosure that is the length and width of its body length (4ft python=4ft by 4ft by idk like 2ft) or larger so that it has lots of space to roam and hide and explore. Anything smaller than this just seems too inhumane for a beautiful creature that would have the whole world to roam in the wild. Of course, I would fill this space with many hides, leaves, branches, and enrichment so that my son would feel secure. And I wouldn’t put a baby ball in this large of a living space, especially since I will adopt a rescue that is most likely to be an adult anyway. As long as the enclosure is not barren, there is a proper temperature gradient, lots of hiding space, and an appropriate amount of open space, would a large enclosure work well for a ball python?
I apologize for the length of this post but educated responses would be very much appreciated, especially people that have had experience with snake enclosures that are larger than the general size requirements. Thank you!
(I am brand new to this forum btw so if I did something wrong I apologize!&#128514
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-19, 09:56 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Can tanks be too large?

You should be fine with an enclosure that size for a ball python. Most ball pythons will be healthy, happy snakes with a lot of clutter. Snug fitting hides, leaf litter or things around the enclosure to hide behind if it doesn't want to be in a hide. Personally, there needs to be little open space for snakes in my humble opinion. They do not go galloping across open savannah. If a log is in the way they just go up and over, it isn't seen as a real obstacle to them nor does it "take up it's space" because to them it's a hide or something to climb on so it's a part of their useful living space. That's a human thing thinking what we need/prefer is what they need/prefer.

There's the odd one that will stop eating in these enclosures.
Old 04-12-19, 02:32 PM   #3
Herpin' Man

The idea that any herp becomes "stressed" if it is in a large enclosure is a commonly repeated internet myth. Wild herps have all of the outdoors to "stress" them out, yet they have survived for millions of years without being kept in small cages.
I think this myth got started as a misinterpretation of the fact that most herps, ball pythons included, prefer small, tight, hiding places. Lack of secure hiding places could be expected to stress them out in any size enclosure.
I should also mention that, in many cases, small enclosures are advantageous for feeding neonate herps, as keeping them in closer confinement with their food item helps ensure that they will find it.
Old 04-13-19, 08:26 AM   #4
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin' Man View Post
The idea that any herp becomes "stressed" if it is in a large enclosure is a commonly repeated internet myth. Wild herps have all of the outdoors to "stress" them out, yet they have survived for millions of years without being kept in small cages.
I think this myth got started as a misinterpretation of the fact that most herps, ball pythons included, prefer small, tight, hiding places. Lack of secure hiding places could be expected to stress them out in any size enclosure.
I should also mention that, in many cases, small enclosures are advantageous for feeding neonate herps, as keeping them in closer confinement with their food item helps ensure that they will find it.
Definitely, although I would regard it as more of a misconception than a myth. NO neonate snake would do well in a large sparse enclosure, but should be fine if it's cluttered properly with lots of hides. Some individuals still won't thrive if they are especially nervous in nature, but those are not as common as we think. Larger enclosures containing small snakes do have their downfalls (harder to find waste, harder for the snake to find food, more clutter/hides/decorations to clean which makes upkeep longer) harder to maintain proper temps and humidity without experience and a bit of know how), but it can definitely be done.
Old 04-17-19, 06:55 PM   #5
Bci

Hi guys I am new to this forum and I have a question. It leaves the topic slightly but I didn't know where to post this. I have a boa constrictor imperator that I recently bought(3 months ago) shes is less then a year old and I'm feeding her once a week but planning to start feeding mayb every 12 days or so mayb someone could help me with that too? Anyways she always pooped about 2-3 days before next feeding but for the past 2 feeding I haven't been able to find any poo in her enclosure and am starting to worry a little( reason for joining) her current tank setup is in a 5'x2'×18" tall fish tank that I made a top for out of wood and mesh. It is a newly setup bio active tank with all live plants. If there is anyone who could maybe help me out I would greatly appreciate it as I love this snake it's a great reptile!

Also she is about 27-30" long. And her mice are always sized to the widest part of her fed frozen thawed.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, enclosure size, tank size, terrarium