border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-19, 06:01 PM   #1
Albeon

Exclamation Need help with mites

My boa constrictor has a recurring problem with mites, and I simply can't get rid of them. While I'm managing the problem and there are never more than a few mites on him at any given point, I can't get rid of the things.

I've already treated him and his terrarium with several mite sprays and taken him to the vet and had him treated with ivermectin. I've moved him to a new terrarium with new substrate and a different hide, water dish, and decorations and placed that new terrarium in an entirely different room. I did all that while he was in a tub being treated with mite spray. I also treated this new terrarium with mite spray before putting him back in it, and they STILL didn't go away.

I live in Massachusetts and it's the dead of winter, so they're not coming in from outside. He's the only reptile in the house, so it's not cross-contamination. I'm honestly at my wit's end with this. I've done everything I can think to do and have even gone beyond what most people and sites say to do. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of these things? My poor snake practically lives in his water bowl now. Thanks in advance for your help.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-07-19, 05:51 PM   #2
BoaBoy91

Re: Need help with mites

Put him on paper towels with only a hide. Make sure his temps and humidity stay within his needs. But mix Nix lice 2 oz to 1 gallon of distilled water. It has to be Nix and not any other brand. Spray everything including the snake from face to tip of the tail. Then retreat 5-7 days.
Old 04-07-19, 06:19 PM   #3
Jim Smith

Here's a link to an article about using predatory mites to control snake mites. The absolute easiest way to get rid of snake mites. Just put some of the bedding mixture from the predatory mites on a small dish in the enclosure and forget about it. In two weeks the predatory mites will have hunted down and eaten all the snake mites AND THEIR EGGS. Getting rid of reptile mites You can find the anapsid mites online.
Old 04-08-19, 06:34 PM   #4
ZacharyTalbot

2 parts water 1 part regular listerine as well as ivermectin mixture weekly. took care of my mites after a few weeks. Definitely was tough to stay on top of them but I killed them off eventually!
Old 04-14-19, 11:23 PM   #5
jinhomyung00

Hi Jim, I've been reading some of your posts on predatory mites for the past hour or so now since I just realized that my newly purchased baby corn snake (my first ever snake) has mites all over his eyes and belly. He is currently in a small tank with aspen. So are you recommending that all I need to really do is put a small dish with predatory mites (w/ their own substrate) in the tank in order to get rid of the bad guys? There's no side effects or anything like that to it? If so, do you know a good link/place I can order them from? Thank You!
Login to remove ads
Old 04-14-19, 11:47 PM   #6
jinhomyung00

Hi Jim, once I get the predatory mites how should I go about putting them in my baby corn snake's tank. He is currently living in aspen substrate with a couple hides and a water dish, but as of right now, since he has mites, I just have him in there with paper towel and a water dish. Please help! thank you!
Closed Thread

Tags
boa constrictor, mites