border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-18, 06:59 PM   #1
Snakegirl2017

Question I am sure there are dozens of posts about this but I can't find any-WATER question

I have searched for information on water. I have read and watched videos about needing to add a treatment to my BP's water that he has in his drinking bowl. We have well water. It obviously is NOT chlorinated, etc. Some posts say if I would drink it, it's fine for him. Advice on this topic? Our fridge does have a filter on it, but that water is super cold when it comes out and frankly most of the time we still use water from the faucet 99% of the time.
Old 01-19-18, 07:40 PM   #2
DJC Reptiles

Re: I am sure there are dozens of posts about this but I can't find any-WATER questio

Depending on where you live, most tap water in the U.S. is pretty safe. Though, I use either bottled water, or I use reptisafe, just as a precaution. If you drink the tap water, it's probably safe for your pet. Another way to dechlorinate water is just by leaving it sitting out in a gallon jug. This makes it easy, and if it's easy, why not just do it, just in case. Amphibians are much more sensitive to chlorine and other chemicals, and need the treatments to tap water regardless.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 01-19-18, 09:59 PM   #3
MDT

Re: I am sure there are dozens of posts about this but I can't find any-WATER questio

Remember, they drink from mud holes in the wild... I'll bet your water is fine for your BP
Old 01-19-18, 11:30 PM   #4
jjhill001

Water quality is a much more important thing to worry about for amphibians and reportedly a few aquatic turtles. Probably extends to some fully aquatic snakes. If you are worried about it just leave the water out for a day before giving it to them.
Old 01-26-18, 07:16 PM   #5
Scubadiver59

Ditto for me. Drinking water is w/ReptiSafe and I use distilled water to spray on substrate and enclosure walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
Depending on where you live, most tap water in the U.S. is pretty safe. Though, I use either bottled water, or I use reptisafe, just as a precaution. If you drink the tap water, it's probably safe for your pet. Another way to dechlorinate water is just by leaving it sitting out in a gallon jug. This makes it easy, and if it's easy, why not just do it, just in case. Amphibians are much more sensitive to chlorine and other chemicals, and need the treatments to tap water regardless.
Old 01-27-18, 01:21 AM   #6
jjhill001

Herps And Distilled Water

Just a tip about distilled water, it's not really good for us either.
Old 01-27-18, 09:41 AM   #7
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Herps And Distilled Water

Just a tip about distilled water, it's not really good for us either.
Great for misting if they won't be drinking the water, though.
Old 01-27-18, 10:08 AM   #8
Scubadiver59

It's the only way I use it...misting the cage sides and soaking the substrate. I give bottled water via US Plastics wash bottles (with the bent cap tubes...like Al Covitz aka Viperkeeper), and I use tap water treated with ReptiSafe for the driking water and "bath/soaking" tubs.

I know about distilled water properties...if I don't drink it, my pets won't drink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Great for misting if they won't be drinking the water, though.
Old 01-27-18, 04:24 PM   #9
pet_snake_78

Been using tap water for years with no issues. Important to change it often and throw out the cups or sanitize water bowls, though. Fully aquatic and larval amphibians tend to be more sensitive and I would use something to remove chlorine and chloramines with amphibians, but for reptiles I would not recommend it. Those chemicals will just help keep the water clean. If you're not sick from the well water, then they will be fine.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, water treatment