border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-17, 07:47 AM   #1
werled

Question when can i handle my snake ?

I have question. wehn can i handle my snake. i bought my cali snake about 3 days ago. (first snake i ever gotten) and i want to know when to handle her she is a girl around 6 years old. and 1.50 meters long. since i got her 3 days ago. and she needs to eat then your forced to handle her same goes for cleaning her home. i kinda get that i probably need to wait since she is new and still adapting to her new home. would really want to know your thoughts on this thanks. ( is my first snake never had any snakes nor reptiles) thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-20-17, 07:53 AM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: when can i handle my snake ?

A good rule of thumb is to let your snake eat a few times in your care (at least twice is my own rule) before any unnecessary handling.

A question for you; Why would you be forced to handle her when she eats?
Old 07-20-17, 08:20 AM   #3
werled

Question Re: when can i handle my snake ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
A good rule of thumb is to let your snake eat a few times in your care (at least twice is my own rule) before any unnecessary handling.

A question for you; Why would you be forced to handle her when she eats?
cant feed her in terraria right ?
makes her aggresive
Old 07-20-17, 08:38 AM   #4
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by werled View Post
cant feed her in terraria right ?
makes her aggresive
This is incorrect. Very little difference between feeding in the cage or using a separate container and it's really a matter of personal preference/opinion. I think you're more likely to be bitten when moving to feed, and it would be more stressful for the snake to be moved when full, plus the fact that it takes more time.
Old 07-20-17, 08:47 AM   #5
werled

Question Re: when can i handle my snake ?

Quote:
This is incorrect. Very little difference between feeding in the cage or using a separate container and it's really a matter of personal preference/opinion. I think you're more likely to be bitten when moving to feed, and it would be more stressful for the snake to be moved when full, plus the fact that it takes more time.
but cant she mistaken my hand with a food. when i try to handle her
Login to remove ads
Old 07-20-17, 09:09 AM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
but cant she mistaken my hand with a food. when i try to handle her
How would this be any different if you handled a snake right before and right after feeding? My thoughts are that they would be more likely to associate your hand with food increasing the chances of being bitten if you have to move them to feed.

After having owning many species over a span of the last 15-20 years, I can state with confidence that feeding a snake in it's cage does not make it more aggressive unless the only reason you're opening the cage is to feed...which wouldn't be the case because you'll also be opening the cage to handle your snake and do cleaning/water changes. At the end of the day it's up to you and your preference of what you want to do, though.
Old 07-20-17, 09:28 AM   #7
werled

Smile Re: when can i handle my snake ?

Quote:
How would this be any different if you handled a snake right before and right after feeding? My thoughts are that they would be more likely to associate your hand with food increasing the chances of being bitten if you have to move them to feed.

After having owning many species over a span of the last 15-20 years, I can state with confidence that feeding a snake in it's cage does not make it more aggressive unless the only reason you're opening the cage is to feed...which wouldn't be the case because you'll also be opening the cage to handle your snake and do cleaning/water changes. At the end of the day it's up to you and your preference of what you want to do, though.
Thanks man helped a lot. may i ask you more question

look i got the snake on monday we had to travel to the place where i bought her. when i got home we placed her in her terraria. and veryone was so excited to see the snake my older brother starting to point at the snake. the result was she tried bite him through glass :P. so i went to my local reptile store to tell the story the woman instantly said you got a biter. this was one day after i got her . but can it be she treid to bite cuz of stress. you know long travel, new home etc. cuz when i get her new water every morning she just sits their patiently waiting for new water. but i want to know why se was instantly labeled a biter by the woman. your thoughts on this since you have been keeping snakes for years. thanks. do you think my snake is a biter just because she tried to bite my brother.
Old 07-20-17, 09:37 AM   #8
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Your snake's whole world has changed. New smells, new surroundings, quite literally everything is new. Add to that the stress involved during transport. Once your snake settles in, then and only then would you be able to assess it's tendencies. I havepurchased and recieved snakes and they were very defensive for the first day, week, or even the first month, but once settled in and fed a few times showed absolutely no defensive behaviour and were easy to handle. It may turn out that your snake is bitey, but there's no way to come to that conclusion already. It is very clear to me that the person you spoke to who labelled the snake as a biter doesn't have the experience to make that assumption because if they did, they would know better than to jump to that conclusion.
Old 07-20-17, 10:50 AM   #9
werled

Smile Re: when can i handle my snake ?

Quote:
Your snake's whole world has changed. New smells, new surroundings, quite literally everything is new. Add to that the stress involved during transport. Once your snake settles in, then and only then would you be able to assess it's tendencies. I havepurchased and recieved snakes and they were very defensive for the first day, week, or even the first month, but once settled in and fed a few times showed absolutely no defensive behaviour and were easy to handle. It may turn out that your snake is bitey, but there's no way to come to that conclusion already. It is very clear to me that the person you spoke to who labelled the snake as a biter doesn't have the experience to make that assumption because if they did, they would know better than to jump to that conclusion.
she is six years old. and has been handled with no bite whatsoever. by former owners
Old 07-20-17, 12:28 PM   #10
Scubadiver59

This doesn't matter: my 4yr old boa was handled frequently by the previous owner yet it bit me the other day when I put my hands in front of its hide; my 6yr old Carpet Python hasn't bitten me yet, but he's so food oriented he would tag me in a nano second I'm sure; and I have a 7yr old Albino King that has never shown a tendency to bite, neither the previous owner or me, yet the other day I was coaxing her out of her hide, to take her out of the viv and she struck the glass on the other side of my fingers.

They are wild animals, slightly tamed/conditioned at best, but still wild and still somewhat unpredictable, so handle with care and at your own risk.

Quote:
she is six years old. and has been handled with no bite whatsoever. by former owners
Old 07-20-17, 04:12 PM   #11
regi375

2 weeks and 2 successful feedings is my general rule. I'd suggest tap training if you're worried about it becoming cage aggressive (feed most of my snakes in their enclosures, no issues). Whenever you go into the enclosure for any reason other feeding, tap the snake (usually with a snake hook, but something like an empty paper towel roll would do). My Cali king is very handlable, but every snake is different. Just give yours enough time to settle in before you get to know yours.
Old 07-20-17, 05:43 PM   #12
TRD

It really depends on the snake...
I have most that don't mind handling from day-1 and have zero aggression whatsoever (all of those are in the same family as your cali king);
I have 1 that was tame when she was small and now you need to wear a harness to hold (one of the milksnakes);
I have 1 that always start biting when picked up but after a few strikes is calm like a sheep (one of the sandboas);
Some will always try to get the heck away (all of the milksnakes and sandboas );
Some will really totally not bother with handling, even when eating or doing whatever.

I've learned my lesson though, because I do enjoy handling my snakes, though I do not enjoy when I know the animal is in distress because of it (and those I don't handle at all unless needed). So right now I do not purchase a new animal without prior handling (by myself). It still gives the best indications of the disposition of the animal..

Does the snake cling to you/hold on to you very tightly/feels very tensed up while holding it? It's afraid, it's going to take a while to get this animal comfortable, if at all... can still go either way though. It may help if you can hold its parents and see how they are.

If you hold you animal and it feels relaxed, it's going about it's business strolling around calmly exploring without tightly holding you, it's a very relaxed snake and not afraid of you or it's environment.

If it's musking, flicking around like mad, or striking at you, likely never going to calm down completely.

Also the snakes I have that are calm, are mostly out and about in their vivarium doing their snake thing (trashing stuff and pooping on my plants ). The ones that are afraid will hide 24x7 unless absolutely quiet.

Cali kings generally will be pretty great to handle (in my experience), but there are individuals that will not like it.
Old 07-21-17, 06:37 PM   #13
Doug 351

Quote:
A lot of good points....
Closed Thread

Tags
handling, new here, new to this :), reptile, snake