border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-17, 04:43 PM   #1
Licag

Question Seedling heat mat

Hi there has anyone ever used a seedling heat mat and thermostat to heat their enclosure? Does anyone know if they would work the same way? Any tips would be appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-01-17, 04:54 PM   #2
TRD

Re: Seedling heat mat

Something with a reference to a plant doesn't sound like it's made for animals... it may be produced with some different quality or safety margins... would take care.
Old 07-01-17, 06:10 PM   #3
Doug 351

I have a seedling starting mat. It doesn't get very warm..( you can lay your hand on it all day.)

Surely they are manufactured with the same standards and concerns as any snake heater.

After all, it's not wether it's a snake or a seedling that dies they worry about, but a person who dies in a house fire.
Old 07-01-17, 06:22 PM   #4
Licag

Okay thank you for letting me know Doug 351. Do you think I could use the thermostat from it on a reptile heat mat?
Old 07-02-17, 01:16 AM   #5
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 351 View Post
I have a seedling starting mat. It doesn't get very warm..( you can lay your hand on it all day.)

Surely they are manufactured with the same standards and concerns as any snake heater.

After all, it's not wether it's a snake or a seedling that dies they worry about, but a person who dies in a house fire.
And there's some terrible snake heat mats out there! I've seen some cheap ones cause fires in vivs.

I don't much like heat mats but the few that I have are branded ones for this reason.

To the op yes a stat would work one any heat source with a plug attached. Still don't think this is an ideal solution.

See my comments on your other post about snakes not being cheap.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 07-02-17, 11:48 AM   #6
jjhill001

It would probably be fine as long as you use a thermostat. Not sure how warm those get though.
Old 07-02-17, 03:49 PM   #7
Azrt

is there a reason you cant just buy a normal UTH?
Old 07-03-17, 08:02 PM   #8
pet_snake_78

A piece of heat tape is like a couple dollars, I'd just go with that! Reptile basics will prewire it for you if you only need a few pieces might go that way.
Old 07-03-17, 09:40 PM   #9
Licag

Thanks everyone for your posts! I think I'll just go with a reptile UTH with a good thermostat. I just asked because I have a seedling mat on hand and figured they worked the same way but didn't want to risk it. Dannybgoode yes I'm aware that no animal is cheap I simply don't see the point in spending unnecessary money, which is why I asked before trying it, thank you.
Old 07-03-17, 09:42 PM   #10
Licag

Pet snake78 thank you for the heat tape tip but I rather not get things shipped if I can avoid it (personal peeve) and since there's an expo going on this weekend I think I'll be able to find all the right gear
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner, heating pad