border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-17, 07:32 PM   #1
Nutella

vomited mouse

I'm so concerned. It looks like my little corn vomited up her fuzzy.

It was the first fuzzie I ever gave her--I've been giving her 2 pinkies a week, and on Tuesday I gave her her first fuzzy. She seemed to get it down fine though she did look very fat.

Right after she ate she went to drink and I realized she didn't have water so I poured some in. She freaked out and hid. I'm afraid it's because of that that she vomited. But the thing is, she must have waited at least two days to do it, because I checked on her periodically (no handling) and she was in her usual spot, looking really fat, for two days. I didn't check on her much today, though, and this evening there's a smashed looking body of the fuzzy in the enclosure.

I have pics if helpful.

What do I do?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-20-17, 07:45 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: vomited mouse

What are your temps like? Make sure it's not too hot or cold. Sometimes they'll immediately spit out a prey item they just ate if they're spooked. If she waited 2 days then that's a regurgitation imo. I wouldn't feed her for 7-10 days and I'd only offer her one small pinky. Do that twice and if she doesn't regurge again you can go back to her normal prey size. Do you have a picture of your snake and setup?
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-20-17, 09:59 PM   #3
Nutella

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
What are your temps like? Make sure it's not too hot or cold. Sometimes they'll immediately spit out a prey item they just ate if they're spooked. If she waited 2 days then that's a regurgitation imo. I wouldn't feed her for 7-10 days and I'd only offer her one small pinky. Do that twice and if she doesn't regurge again you can go back to her normal prey size. Do you have a picture of your snake and setup?
Here's the photo of her enclosure. You can actually see the regurgitated thing if you look. Usually she stays under the knobby driftwood thing, on top of the smaller hide (like the driftwood and the hide sandwich her). That's right under the heat lamp, and the temp is about 84, usually. The rest of the enclosure is in the 70s, low or high 70s depending on the spot. I haven't checked the humidity in there but my ball python's enclosure is usually around 40% despite my best efforts, so I'd guess the corn's is less than that since I don't mist or have a fogger going in there.

Old 05-20-17, 10:00 PM   #4
Nutella

Crap. Hang on, let me go read how to post a pic and then I'll edit.

Edit: see below
Old 05-20-17, 10:03 PM   #5
Nutella

Login to remove ads
Old 05-21-17, 12:39 AM   #6
akane

They also won't digest right if they got dehydrated and some will regurgitate if they drink a lot after eating. It's an increased problem with rosy boas that some have to apply more water control for certain individuals or have a unique system for lots of them than the 24/7 water bowl. With a corn just watch the water closer and if it's empty feed the next day after they had over night to drink.
Old 05-21-17, 11:04 PM   #7
Nutella

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane View Post
They also won't digest right if they got dehydrated and some will regurgitate if they drink a lot after eating. It's an increased problem with rosy boas that some have to apply more water control for certain individuals or have a unique system for lots of them than the 24/7 water bowl. With a corn just watch the water closer and if it's empty feed the next day after they had over night to drink.
Good to know.
Old 06-21-17, 12:11 PM   #8
Nutella

So it looks like she did it again. I made sure her water was full all the time. I skipped a week of feeding, then gave her one pinky, then the following week two, and then this week I gave her a fuzzy. She ate it, seemed fine for days, and now there's what looks like a mostly digested mouse on the floor of her enclosure. It's like she digested everything but the skin. She also had a good shed.
Closed Thread

Tags
corn snake feeding, regurgitating, vomitting