border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-17, 03:04 AM   #1
BlueEyes

BP set up question

So I got my snake about 36 hours ago or so, she's a baby blue eyed leucistic. Anyways, I put her in her set up, but I've noticed some "quarks" in it. It could be nothing, but I'm obsessing over it. The hot side is always somewhere between 92-95 degrees Fahrenheit, while the cool side is always somewhere between 73-77 degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously, the hot side is a tad warmer than desirable, while the cool side is a bit cooler than desired. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT! Please help, unless you don't think I have anything to worry about. I want to provide the best possible conditions for my baby. By the way, it is winter here at the moment, and I'm in Oklahoma, so it can get quite cold sometimes.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-01-17, 08:28 AM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: BP set up question

What kind of caging is it, and how are you heating it? What instrument are you using to measure the temps?
Old 02-01-17, 07:39 PM   #3
BlueEyes

At first I was only using a heat pad, but the temp gun I use was reading that it wasn't getting warm enough (about 80 degrees Fahrenheit), so I started using that, alongside a night black bulb that is 75 watts, which is raised up about 7 inches, and that's how I get 95.
Old 02-01-17, 07:41 PM   #4
BlueEyes

Forgot to mention, my caging is a exo terra medium, with a towel covering half the screen top
Old 02-01-17, 08:21 PM   #5
mattd

believe me i m new to this but tested everything make sure our measuring the temps where the snake is . basking and ambient are different 95 is good for basking ambient you want about 88. you seem to be close to the window where you need to be. 75 for lows is ok
Old 02-01-17, 08:26 PM   #6
mattd

how is the humidity? glass is a pain for ball pythons i believe . but i do have one in glass now and my temps are close to yours im not worried. its my humidity i hate im going pvc next week for all my ball pythons just personal preference
Old 02-03-17, 01:01 AM   #7
BlueEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd View Post
how is the humidity? glass is a pain for ball pythons i believe . but i do have one in glass now and my temps are close to yours im not worried. its my humidity i hate im going pvc next week for all my ball pythons just personal preference
It stays at about a constant 45-60% (I mist 3-4 times a day), and the ambient seems to be about 86 degrees. But, from what I've been reading, tubs are much better than tanks, so I'll probably set my selfish desire to have a god looking enclosure aside and set her up in a tub when I get paid next week (would do it now, but I don't have a thermostat)
Old 02-03-17, 06:16 PM   #8
mattd

yes i i have a 4x2 pvc cage with a heat panel and it is the best.

Tags
ball, ball python, ball python care, python, set up help