border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-16, 03:31 PM   #1
Scarletvenom

Exclamation Best way to get rid of mites?

Best way to get rid of mites?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-24-16, 08:43 PM   #2
pet_snake_78

Re: Best way to get rid of mites?

The most commonly used method seems to be provent a mite. You need to use the product per the directions or you can kill your snake, there are also a couple of species which seem particularly sensitive so I suggest you research before deciding. A more expensive way is snake mite predator mites. I've read of several trials with these where they did remove all signs of mites. There are several other products that can be used with varying degrees of safety and effectiveness. I often treat incoming snakes enclosures with provent a mite, so far no issues for me but I am only using it as a routine precaution.
Old 10-26-16, 10:18 AM   #3
Albert Clark

I second the Provent-A-Mite along with the Natural Chemistry application are one of the most proven ways to rid your snakes and enclosures of mites and the eggs they lay. There needs to be absolute attention to detail when using these products bc they are POISONS (PERMETHRINS) and therefore pose health risks to you and your snakes when used incorrectly.
Old 10-26-16, 11:11 AM   #4
Jim Smith

I tried Provent-A-Mite and while it did seem to work initially. they came back in a few weeks. I also tried NIT which is a treatment for head lice. Pretty much the same results. I was at my wits end when I found an article on a biological treatment using predatory mites. Here's a link to the article. A Better Treatment for Snake Mites I ordered the predatory mites from the place shown in the article. They worked GREAT! In two weeks all the mites were gone and have never returned The only downside was that they aren't cheap (around $50) and you have to use them up in a few weeks or they starve to death. I treated all five of my enclosures; three as a precautionary measure and the two that had mites. When I factor in all the extra work I did cleaning, disinfecting re-housing my snakes etc., if it ever happens again, I would just spend the money and go with the predatory mites right off the bat.

Tags
mites