border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-16, 04:36 PM   #1
vorstia

New to Building Cages?

Hey all!
I recently picked up a corn snake after the loss of my ball python about a year ago, but I realize now that I overestimated my ability in starting from scratch. When I bought Hecate, I got her cage and everything included and already set up. After she passed away, I didn't see myself getting another snake and sold her cage with everything.
I picked up my snow morph corn snake a couple weeks ago, and he only came with two hides (one home-made with a plant attached), the tank, the water dish, and bedding.
I've noticed he's starting to shed, but I'm unsure how to keep the enclosure humid enough, and also everytime I've taken him out, he's very cold to the touch and wraps himself around my neck for my body heat.
He's very sweet and we all love him but I need help with what to purchase for heat and such.
Thanks in advance
Login to remove ads
Old 09-20-16, 05:07 PM   #2
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: New to Building Cages?

Under tank heaters work great. Just be sure to use a thermostat and a temp gun to double check your temps. If the tank has a screen top cover 3/4 of it to help hold humidity in.
Old 09-20-16, 06:17 PM   #3
pet_snake_78

Re: New to Building Cages?

Not worth making a cage for one snake. The savings from making cages are mostly through making quite a few or at least one really big cage. I second the heat matt and a tstat... a rheostat would be fine in the short term until a tstat can be shipped. Keep a close eye on the temps and the heat matt need only cover 1/3 or less of the enclosure.
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner, corn snake, heating