border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-17, 05:06 PM   #1
theMailSquirrel

Deciding on Savannah monitor or Black and white argentine tegu

Does anyone have any suggestions? I love both these lizards they are awesome, I understand what it takes to take care of them, but I would like to hear from current owners or previous owners of these lizards. What was your experience with them, how much did the lizard cost, how much was the enclosure and food per month, were they tame could you let it roam your house? Thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 01-11-17, 03:48 PM   #2
Cricket1234

Re: Deciding on Savannah monitor or Black and white argentine tegu

Tegus require less meat than monitors, however, many say monitors are smarter. I would get what best fits your life. Both can roam around the house if offered the right temps (around 130 degree basking spot for savanna monitor, 110 to 120+ for the tegu) it may be hard to offer that in your household, but it can be done. Also, you need to have a cage for them when they are young! They will easily get lost or hurt in your house while a 6 foot adult won't lol.
Old 01-11-17, 05:30 PM   #3
theMailSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket1234 View Post
Tegus require less meat than monitors, however, many say monitors are smarter. I would get what best fits your life. Both can roam around the house if offered the right temps (around 130 degree basking spot for savanna monitor, 110 to 120+ for the tegu) it may be hard to offer that in your household, but it can be done. Also, you need to have a cage for them when they are young! They will easily get lost or hurt in your house while a 6 foot adult won't lol.
Thanks , In your experience, if you have any with Savannah's can they be aggressive?
Old 01-20-17, 07:27 PM   #4
Cricket1234

To be honest, I researched it for about an hour. I also petsat for a friend who owns both, plus iguanas and a tortoise. It was that experience that got me into reptiles. I asked him and he said that Savanah monitors can be a bit more aggressive at first, but tame up very well. I handled one of his tegus and 2 of his Savannah Monitors. Both were beautiful and so well mannered. Wild caught animals are always a lot harder to tame, so get a CB one if possible. Sry I responded so late, I had to check the info I have like 20 times! Good luck, hope I helped!
Old 01-20-17, 11:38 PM   #5
sirtalis

Have you checked out savannahmonitor.net? I have not personally owned one but I do own a peacock monitor. @cricket1234 in the last year I think savannah monitors were only bred two or three times in captivity, the cb savannah monitors are actually farmed, hatched in captivity but sent over from africa and savannah monitors can absolutely not free roam in a house, without a proper enclosure (high humidity is a must with all monitors and tegus) their organs will eventually shut down due to chronic dehydration
Old 01-22-17, 08:35 AM   #6
Cricket1234

I know. A lot of people run humidifiers throughout their house. I was not recomending it, I was just saying it was possible.
Old 01-22-17, 01:46 PM   #7
sirtalis

Quote:
I know. A lot of people run humidifiers throughout their house. I was not recomending it, I was just saying it was possible.
True, but humidity at 70-80% throughout the house would be a bit miserable in my opinion, coupled with an air temp of 70-90 f throughout the house lol
Old 01-22-17, 07:29 PM   #8
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtalis View Post
True, but humidity at 70-80% throughout the house would be a bit miserable in my opinion, coupled with an air temp of 70-90 f throughout the house lol
Agreed. When I first went to my friends house, I was amazed at how he could love live in a house that humid. I have gotten used to it now, but I was just saying it was possible. I am not a big supporter of free range monitors myself, once again I was saying that if he really wanted to, he might be able to.
Old 01-22-17, 08:39 PM   #9
ThirteenRavens

I love both of these and have wanted one or the other for a long time but I just don't have the space to properly house something so big. If I had my choice though I would likely pick up an argentine tegu. I've had the chance to interact with them more and love their personalities.
Old 01-22-17, 08:57 PM   #10
REM955

The shop I go to has a pair of the BW Argentine Tegus. I'll take a few pictures next time I get there and share a picture and some information on what they are doing with them.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-23-17, 07:19 PM   #11
theMailSquirrel

Thanks guys, one thing I like about Savannah's is that they cost a lot less then bw tegus.
Old 01-23-17, 09:21 PM   #12
sirtalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMailSquirrel View Post
Thanks guys, one thing I like about Savannah's is that they cost a lot less then bw tegus.

Unfortunately in the long run they will cost a heck of a lot more haha
Old 01-23-17, 09:22 PM   #13
sirtalis

Quote:
Agreed. When I first went to my friends house, I was amazed at how he could love live in a house that humid. I have gotten used to it now, but I was just saying it was possible. I am not a big supporter of free range monitors myself, once again I was saying that if he really wanted to, he might be able to.

One of my friends converted his guest bedroom into a enclosure for his blackthroat monitors, the entire hallway was muggy lol not something that I would want haha
Old 01-23-17, 10:32 PM   #14
theMailSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtalis View Post
Unfortunately in the long run they will cost a heck of a lot more haha
how come though. Food?
Closed Thread

Tags
monitor, savannah, tegu