border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-15, 01:29 AM   #1
cyanide

Red face When to handle and when to leave alone?

Hi everyone this is my first post!
I have a dear little coastal (first snake) who I have just started handling regularly as she has grown out of being a nippy baby.
15 months old, humidity and temperatures regulated, feeding on hopper mice every 5 days (on a diet...), recent vet visit and very healthy. I do not handle at least 36 hours after feeding or when in shed.
This is my problem - we have started handling daily except for after feedings and usually when I pick off the hide and hook her I can gently slide my hand under and lift her out. As soon as she is out - no worries.
But twice she has freaked out a little and tried to flee, tangling herself around something in the tank. The first time this happened I persevered trying to get her off a branch and she struck so I left her be. It happened again about a week later so I just left her be. Should I be persevering in these cases (so she doesn't get the idea that escaping/striking will get her left alone?) Or just leaving her for the day when she is stressed. We have only been at it a few weeks, made great progress but still have a ways to go. Thanks so much!
Login to remove ads

Tags
carpet python, coastal carpet python, handling, python, yearling python