sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-16, 03:34 PM   #1
Tommynov1000

Ball python husbandry and breeding questions

Hello!

I have been researching owning and breeding ball pythons for about a year now, but have quite a number of outstanding questions. I plan to start with owning a male and female, both juveniles to start with. I've also posted this thread on another site, just in case that causes issues for whatever reason.

1) Is it better to own a tank that will eventually properly hold a full grown male/female to start with, or upgrade to larger sizes as they grow?
2) Are there such things as "auto-humidifiers" capable of accurately measuring humidity of the tank and regulating it? I don't mind misting the tank whatsoever, but I worry that I may mist too much or too little.
3) I've found multiple sources emphasizing minimum weights of both the male and female, but not so much age. Does age matter?
4) Does it matter if the male happens to be larger in terms of weight/length to the female, as long as the female has reached the general 1500g mark?
5) Is there a reliable source to describe snake genetics, especially for 3 and up gene snakes?
6) Reliable source for help determining snake morphs?
7) Is it okay to allow the female to incubate her eggs on her own until they hatch? If so, what are the risks?
8) Is it better to purchase a longer terrarium than a taller one? I understand most ball pythons don't really climb, but I haven't found many long tanks that are as voluminous as a taller one.

Thank you for all of your help, it is greatly appreciated!
Login to remove ads

Tags
ball python help, breeding