border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-16, 11:36 AM   #1
phassin

Big Build Thread

Alright so for the past few months I’ve been way too bored at work. I started watching snakebytes and it didn’t take long before I was planning a new snake project. I need to get another snake… Thanks Brian and Chewy...

The short story is I couldn’t find any enclosures I liked online unless I went custom built and then prices were through the roof. I decided to look online to check out some DIY enclosures, and sure enough I found some nice looking things that looked reasonable to do on my own. I was going to build my own enclosures.

I had initially planned on starting with an old entertainment system to gut and use as my frame, but that would mean keeping both snakes in the same enclosure. If I’m going to do it, I want to make the best enclosures I can. I decided to start from scratch instead. In this thread, I plan on detailing as much information as I can as a reference for myself and others on how to build your own enclosure and what to expect for timing, price, equipment and skill level necessary to make a nice looking set up for reptiles. Honestly, I think I could have skipped half the steps I took and still could have them look nice and be way cheaper, but I went the extra mile and I think it paid off in the end. Mind you, this was my first major wood working project (I did have help from my dad but I did 90% of the work) so a novice can still make a nice build. Almost all my questions were answered on building and reptile forums (Like here )

Before I go into building detail, here is my material list and cost.

Wood – 130$
3X 4’x8’x5/8” pine plywood, 1X 5”x1”x8’ white pine board, 2X 2.5”x1”x8’ white pine board, 6X 2”x4”x8’ common pine board (before I get crucified for using pine, I have it sealed in a primer and latex paint so there’s no toxic fumes)

Plexiglass doors – 80$
4X 18”x24”x.25” sheets

Paint – 60$
Primer – 1 gal Interior paint – 1 quart latex Exterior paint – 6 spray cans protective matte enamel

Background supplies and fake plants – 60$
4X 1’x2’ Styrofoam 8X fake plants 10lb bag of grout 1 can Great Stuff Foam

Aluminum – 50$
4X .25”x.5”x4’Rails 1X .5”x.5”x8’ Rail 2X 1/16”x1”x4’ Rods

Snake Husbandry - $90+
Thermostat, Lamp, Thermometer, Ceramic heater, Bedding, Heat rope (still need to buy)

Miscellaneous – 100$
Wood glue, contact cement, knobs, locks, hole covers, lights, wire mesh, Velcro, hook and eye screws, surge protector, probably way more

Total - $570

List of tools used:
Table saw, miter saw, skill saw, electric sander, grinder (not necessary), router, nail gun, drill, clamps, hand saw, screwdriver, hammer, tape measure, paint brushes, file, and a razor blade.

The good news for me is that I am a mechanical designer and have access to 3D modeling software which allowed me to make some initial layouts. I knew I wanted 2 stackable cages with dimensions of 4’x2’x2’ and front access. These were my initial designs. It took about 2 months to complete but I only worked Wednesdays and Fridays after work plus Saturdays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layout 1.jpg (22.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Layout 2.jpg (23.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Layout 3.jpg (23.3 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by phassin; 05-24-16 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Typo in Title
Login to remove ads

Tags
carpet python, diy, enclosure