border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-16, 12:59 AM   #1
floatindownslig

Please need advice regarding how long one can handle BRB's

I am new to this site, and somewhat new to the reptile world, and have experience with Ball Pythons on and off since I was young and have always loved snakes ( I even got lucky enough for both of the times I got bit by a rattlesnake [both medium adults] gave me almost completely dry bites and didn't hurt at all at any point- both times I literally ran right over them as I am a long distance runner and so definitely had it coming and am just glad I didn't hurt either snake as I've been rescuing all the snakes on the road I have found since my mother showed me when I was young) and am trying to decide to either adopt a Ball Python or a Rainbow Boa baby (less than a month old in either case.

I've lived with several Ball Pythons and almost every one- if it wasn't cold in the house, would cuddle with them and read with them watching over my shoulder! I love snakes so very much. So in that regard, if any question of mine is a no-brainer for the learned and aged reptile owner/breeder, I hope everyone knows that I am only trying to look to provide the best possible environment for my snake, since I will be getting either snake when they are less than a month old to be able to form a stronger bond.

Since I personally know from experience, that ball pythons not only can be handled almost all the time (OBVIOUSLY EXCEPT 1-3 DAYS AFTER FEEDING OR OBV IF THEY GIVE ANY SIGNS OF WANTING TO BE ALONE. I AM A HERMIT, SO I CAN COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THEM; ONE OF THE MANY REASONS I LOVE SNAKES SO VERY MUCH. JUST TO CLARIFY.) but definitely enjoy it when they have a lot of social interaction. This OF COURSE CHANGES FROM SNAKE TO SNAKE just like personalities of any living creature.

I was REALLY hoping for anybody who has had FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with BRB's to let me know how long it would be safe for the snake to be out of his/her cage without having to worry about it developing any health problems from lack of humidity from being handled outside the enclosure. The enclosure will be perfect for keeping in humidity, will be freezing cypress or aspen mulch and then letting sit out until thawed and warm, as I heard that is a good way to prevent mites being introduced to their enclosure and thus the snake via their bedding or whatever the case may be.

So, PLEASE, TO ALL THOSE READING THIS WHO HAVE A BRB I couldn't tell you how much of a help and reassurance it would be for me, because I WILL NEVER and have never adopted or bought an animal if I didn't have enough money for food, daily clean water, shelter, and now for the snake I await: a generator in the very rare case the power goes out, and have a very clean house.

If it seems as though BRB's would not be the best fit, please explain to me with at least a modicum of detail. I can't thank anybody who is still reading this enough! Truly, thank you! I hope very much to hear from someone soon!

Wishing everybody the best and hope that all is well!
Thank you!
Login to remove ads