border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-15, 06:50 AM   #1
ShaggyRS6

Hello - Looking For Advice

Hi everyone. I am 42 years old, I am from the UK but moved to the US 3 years ago. I am blessed to live in Northern New Jersey right close to the Ramapo mountains so have access to some incredible nature.

I shoot nature and landscape photography as one of my hobbies, have a son who is in the fire dept, a hard working wife and two dogs that came with us from England.

I seem to be obsessed with a few things since turning up on these shores. 1. Bears, cant get enough of them
2. Osprey's same as above
3. Just recently snakes. I have always hated them, but since doing some research, and watching lots of Youtube Videos (AnimalBytes) I have become addicted.

So most weekends are now spent trying to find Rattle snakes so I can take pictures of them. I have been unsuccessful so far but am confident I am on the right track. I have spent hours reading the do's and o not's, I have the boots I always go with long thick pants, take a friend and stay within cell range. I have a long lens so I don't intend to get to close.

I have been finding lots of Garter and Ribbon snakes. I have been to afraid to pick them up but think I am about ready. Any tips for picking one up in the wild? Should I use gloves? Will they bite? what do I do if they bite? Should I not pick them?

And finally, I am seriously thinking about getting a snake for home. After researching the www most people go for a Ball Python. So I would like to hear your thoughts on that. I intend to go to a pet store this weekend to take a look and maybe handle one. I am conscious that I don't want to rush into this hobby without knowing the full facts first. So don't fear, I wont get a snake unless I know its right for me

Anyway. that's me!!
Login to remove ads