border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-15, 02:48 PM   #1
Wingbeats

New RB, Big oops!

I've been researching and reading about snake husbandry for about 6 months now, and figuring out what species I want and whatnot.

Then on Thursday, May 7th, I finally visited a local reptile supplier guy. While I was there and looking around, he handed me a Brazilian/Columbian Rainbow Boa integrade, and I fell in love with her! She was so calm and so gentle, despite being young. (She is about 1.5 feet long)

So I went home with her and all the necessary stuff for her - the tank, under belly heat, thermometers, humidity measurer, etc, and got her all set up. The temps and humidity in there were nice and perfect according to BRB care sheets.

Then, on Saturday, two days later.....I went to pick her up to hold her a little, and she was GONE!! I dug around in her humid hide, the substrate, everything....somehow she apparently wriggled out of her enclosure and escaped!

So I found tips to find a lost snake, and started trying them.

Night 1 - Looked everywhere close to her tank in the open kitchen area. Set up plastic bags to listen to all over, never heard anything. So I laid down flour, some artist tape at doorways, and put a sterlite on the floor with a bowl of water and a humid hide.

Night 2 - I couldn't stay up late so I looked everywhere again, and left flour, water and hide, and tape where it was. No evidence of snake movement.

Night 3 - It is feeding day for her, so I thawed a mouse and made a soda bottle trap to put it in. I taped the mouse and bottle to the floor near the water and hide, so it's warm. Left tape and flour where it was. Still nada when I woke up this morning.

I'm so worried....I know that RBs like warm and humid, and my house is rather cool and dry. Anything else I should try for a RB? I'm scared that I'm not seeing any disturbed flour or anything. Perhaps it's time to set up tape in the carpeted part of the house? Should I leave the mouse out during the day, or only at night? How long before a fuzzy spoils? (I'm assuming when it starts to smell bad).

Thanks for any tips....I'm so scared I lost her forever. She is such a gentle little snake!
Login to remove ads

Tags
lost, missing, rainbow boa