border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-15, 11:21 AM   #1
Machala2012

Question New to the site, need help!

Hi i recently decided to finally get a snake, i had wanted one since i was a kid, after doing a lot of research i decided on a Ball python, due to their docile demeanor and being recommended as a good beginner snake. . I purchased her offline and she is about a1 1/2 Ft long right now ive had for about 3 weeks, and she is mean, like not just if im near her head or anything but as soon as i approach the enclosure, and i have yet to see her ball up like they are known for, she just goes aggressive immediately. The Humidity is kept at 60% and the heat on the cool side is 83 and the hot side is 91 degrees. I use Cypress mulch as the substrate she has 2 hides one smaller that she can barley fit into which is supposed to be preferred?) and a larger one on the opposite side with the water bowl and basking rock in between. I have kids and they want to handle her but i cant let them at this point, ive been tempted to re-home her and start with something smaller like a corn or milk snake, but i dont want to put her in a cycle or re-homing, she doesn't deserve that. Is there anything i can try to calm her down so i can at least tempt to handle her, ive tried using a snake hook got her into my hand and made sure she felt supported but she just tried to whip around on me. She also hasn't ate since i got her, ive offered the mouse to her in her feeding tank and nothing. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!
Login to remove ads

Tags
aggression, ball python, beginner