sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-15, 08:51 AM   #1
jonesaw77

Juvenile Retic Aggression

Good Afternoon,

I purchased a Bob Clark bred juvenile male 'Blonde Tiger Retic' last Saturday, which is my first venture into the world of Giant Python's. He is a stunning snake, and for the first couple of days was no issue to approach, take out if his vivarium and handle.

Maybe a bit too soon, I decided to feed him on Monday which he accepted more than gleefully. He gobbled down a small rat, to which there was still a slight bump in his belly on Wednesday. However, since being fed he has become rather aggressive, which I am guessing is not actual aggression but down to Retics more than healthy feeding response! ... Any movement around his vivarium, and particularly when I slide open one of the glass doors and he is right at me. I dealt with this last night by using a soft kitchen roll to touch his head, which he strikes at, and with then with the kitchen roll between me and Hugo (The name I have bestowed upon him) I managed to confidently take hold of him and lift him out of the vivarium. After a couple of minutes outside of his vivarium he calmed down, and is was fine to handle for a good hour or so.

I guess I am after reassurance that I am doing the right thing, and hoping with persistence and plenty of patience he will calm down. The last thing I want to do is stress him out, so I would really appreciate some guidance on dealing with 'snappy' juveniles.

I have previous experience with raising a red tailed boa to 7ft and a dumerils boa to around 6ft. Like I said this is my first python, and would appreciate some guidance.

Many thanks for taking the time to read,
Scotty
Login to remove ads

Tags
aggression, juvenile, retic