border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-14, 02:17 PM   #1
kiiarah

Question He's in blue! Anything else I should do to ensure a complete shed?

Shesha has had one shed with me so far, but it didn't go so well (he left about 1/3 of the skin on his tail). I noticed today that his eyes are clouded and skin is very milky looking, so we are definitely on track for another shed very soon. This time I really want to avoid any problems. I have been keeping his eco-earth damp and maintaining humidity around 65-70% average, with 55% being the lowest it drops before I get home from work, and 85% being the highest I have seen it (immediately after misting). I have a heat lamp on the tank to keep ambient temps high enough (I hate having to use this but the UTH wasn't cutting it for ambient temps). He has mostly been under his cool hide so the lamp shouldn't be drying him out. The screen lid is covered about 85% to trap heat and humidity.

I feel like I have a good set up going this time around, better than when he last shed, but I just wanted to post to see if anyone had any suggestions I am not already doing. Is there anything more I can do to help him out? I have read about putting damp moss in the hide with him to keep the humidity in that area high, but I hate to force the damp moss on him if the ambient humidity would be enough. I was also thinking perhaps I could dampen the eco-earth under his hide and then put down a thin layer of aspen over it. I was thinking hopefully this would allow the humidity to increase in the hide while still allowing him the dry layer to rest on. He really really hates coming in contact with damp substrate from what I can tell. Do you think that would work, or would the moss be better somehow? Can I just leave the hide alone entirely if ambient humidity is high enough and what would be the lowest it can go before I would have to worry about stuck shed? Thank you so much you guys, really hoping for a full shed this time.

Last edited by kiiarah; 11-30-14 at 02:22 PM..
Login to remove ads

Tags
humid hide, humidity, shed