border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Erycines

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-14, 01:58 PM   #15
CosmicOwl

Re: 9 month old sand boa refuses to eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewind View Post
I'm guessing you don't own a betta? I have a sorority in a 25 gallon tank and they love interacting with me. They like to follow my finger and eat from my hand. My old male (seperate tank) who passed away a few months ago use to play with.a ball and would come to the top of the water for a pet. Plenty of aquatic pets have very little individuality or interest in human interation beyond feeding, but there are several breeds that seak it out. Again, every creature is unique.
In general, snakes do not "seek out" human interaction, though. The problem is that you are anthropomorphizing the snakes(and fish) rather than considering their reptilian perspective. For instance, I have a corn snake who will come to my hand and climb out of his cage. It would be easy to think that he is doing it out of affection, but then I would be projecting my thoughts onto an animal that has a different motivation for its actions. Doesn't it seem more likely that at some point, he learned that up meant out, and thus a chance to hunt for food?

You have to think about what the snake would want, not what you would want if you were the snake.
Login to remove ads

Tags
mice, not eating, sand boa, sick, vet