border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-14, 08:26 PM   #1
LRRoberts0122

Exclamation General beginner questions about my first corn snake!

Hi everyone! I used to be really afraid of snakes, but I've been watching a series about them and it's really gotten me to change my mind. So I went ahead and got my first corn snake the other day.

She isn't here yet, and will be arriving in the mail this Wednesday morning. I'm very excited!

Now, I have some questions on what her ideal temperature / humidity should be in her enclosure. I currently have a 20G for her set up. I'll be able to build a very amazing, custom enclosure for her in a year, but hopefully this will do for the time being.

A little about her, she will be a year old when I get her. I'm not sure what to expect, if she'll still be kind of small, or not. I think she'll be in the medium range as far as the size of corn snakes go. But onto my questions!

I live in Florida, so it's naturally very humid here. Without any water in her tank whatsoever, the humidity gauge has consistently been at about 75% and the temperature is at approximately 77 - 80 degrees Fahrenheit (on the cool side of the tank). Will this be okay for her? I have a little heat mat on the right side of her tank. It feels warm to the touch, but I'm not sure if it's enough. I have a heat lamp, and I'm using that to see if I can get the warmth to go up a little on the warmer side of the tank (approximately 85, hopefully), but I read that heat lamps can hurt your pet, and I certainly don't want that, but I'm not sure how else to raise the temperature. I also don't know if 77-80 degrees is warm enough for her. I assume it's a bit warmer with the heat mat, but I'm also worried that once I add the substrate, it won't be as effective. I'm scared she'll be cold.

Someone please help. She'll be really scared after going through transport, and I want her to feel right at home. Thank you in advance for your help!

~ Lindsay
Login to remove ads

Tags
corn, humidity, setup, snake, temperature