border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-14, 03:47 PM   #1
dastefster

Unhappy Help! Retic not eating!

Hey guys, first off: I'm new to the forum so if this is not the right place to post something like this, I'm sorry!

Ok, so I recently got a baby super tiger reticulated python. It is a female (or so the breeder said, I have not had her probed by my vet yet to confirm) and she was born sometime early this year (not sure on the exact date). I'll give a little background just to help you guys out on giving me suggestions. Ok I've had her for about 10 weeks now. I was feeding her 1 adult mouse every 4-5 days. For the first couple of weeks after I got her, she ate like a champ! Very aggressive eater (compared to my Boas), she never turned down food! One day (about 6 weeks ago) I noticed she was fully submerged in her water bowl, after spending the weekend in there I knew she probably had mites. Took her out, and sure enough there were mites both in the bottom of the water bowl and on her. Took her to my vet and he confirmed, gave me 3 rounds of IVOMEC shots (1 every 2 weeks). Of course, I cleaned her cage WELL and sprayed it down with IVOMEC spray. A few days After the 1st shot, I fed her and she ate like normal. After the 2nd round shot, she was no longer in her water bowl and all evidence of mites were gone. Only problem is: she refused the food offered the next day. Thought it was weird but I let her be. Waited a week, she refused again but I noticed she was in shed so I figured that might be why. I let her shed and offered food again, still she showed NO interest. I went in her cage last week to check her out again for mites and she was ANGRY started striking at me like crazy (note: she never struck at me before), so I let her be for a week. Tried to offer her live food last night (as apposed to F/T that I had been feeding her) and she showed no interest in the live food, instead she ran away from it and struck defensively at it but not to kill. As of today she has not eaten in 25 days. She used to be active every morning when I woke up and every night when I went to bed, now all she does is hide in her hide. She obviously does not want to be bothered. I have no idea whats going on. It's not mites and it's not due to shedding...any suggestions?
Also just in case this helps here's details of her cage set up (which has not changed throughout the entire time I've had her): She's living in a 36" plastic tub right now, Large water bowl and hide, Temps are kept at around 82 on the hot side and 75 on the cool side. Ceramic heat emitter used for heat source NOT bulb.

Appreciate any and all help/advice! Tried to go into detail but just ask if you want to know anything else! Thanks!
Login to remove ads