border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-14, 12:52 PM   #1
dragonsblood

Best set up for a baby ball?

I'm really taking advantage of the awesome experts here so bear with me!
I just started decorating my new balls tank. I got him a stone hide that he really loves, he has a small heating pad under the hide where he usually rests, a climbing branch against the back of the tank, some fake climbing leaves to give him some cover for the corner he always rests in, along with some moss that I dampen daily. I also did that wet towel trick on top of half the screen to increase the humidity. He is currently in a 10 gallon tank.

My real question is about the lights. I recently bought a infrared light at 100 watts from Exo Terra. I put it on a timer to go on at 7 pm and turn off at 7 am. I have it elevated a little above the tank's screen so that he doesn't get too hot. So far, he seems to like it and will rest his head outside of his hide or lift himself up on to the hide to rest there and soak up some heat. My concern is whether or not a 100 watt is too powerful for him or not. I don't think it is, considering he isn't always in the cool zone or otherwise trying to get away from the heat, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

The next question is regarding the daytime light... I keep him near our balcony window and I open the curtains to let in some indirect (and increasingly direct) natural sunlight every morning. I have heard that BPs don't require special lighting, but I just want to make sure that it's okay for him to be on the heat pad only during the day with some natural sunlight from the window near him.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Anything I should be doing but am not?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Login to remove ads

Tags
heating, lights