Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-13, 01:16 PM   #17
EmilyS

Re: Fish Tank Maintenance Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
When we had our guppy tank i used water out our rainwater butt, sieved it a few times to get rid of the floating debris and then warmed it to about the temp of the tank. I would find that about an inch of water would be lost through evaporation during a one to two week period and would just top up using the same process. I never did water changes, i washed the filter and only replaced it once a year and i used snails to keep the tank clean.

I would have constant breeding, lots of variety in terms of ages of the fish. When one died i Left it in the tank and let the snails/other fish eat it. I ran it this way for about five years, then i got into snakes and needed the space. I fed fish flake twice a week, just a generous pinch.

So i gave the tank to my father in law. He is totally anal about the tank being spotless, removed dead fish, switched 10% of water every week, changed the filter monthly etc, all the fish died within three months with NO breeding taking place at all.
This happened because your fish got used to the tank being horribly dirty. When they were given proper care, the clean water shocked them.