sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-12, 08:16 AM   #1
jovamabob

Send a message via Skype™ to jovamabob
Ate while in shed?

I fed the 4-month olds today which went fabulously. They've only been here a week and 7 out of 8 have eaten! My problem is, i offered a mouse to a little guy and he snapped it right up - then he shed.
I would never feed a snake in shed, but i was told by my pet shop and a breeder to offer it, and that they wont eat when they're in shed anyway. This little guy had literally started to get milky-coloured that morning, although im not used to tiny snakes so i may not have noticed - that'll change! I figured if he did eat, he's only just started so probably wouldn't shed till he's digested it and he probably wouldn't eat it anyway. He snapped at it the moment it came near him and took it down like a boss! The problem is, i can't find the tail tip of the shed. The rest is whole and completely perfect so it may have just broken off when i picked it out and i just cant find it, but i really want to check. He fed this time yesterday and i found the shed this morning. He has a humid hide and a nice water bowl to soak in so should i handle him and check or will he be ok to leave till tomorrow to check when he's digested a little more? I'd hate to have them regurgitate their first feed with me!

This is the snake eating and you can see he's barely gotten milky at all,

Tags
corn snake, eating, shedding, snake